Polo 6C - Hand brake keeps braking

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
javico
New
Drives: Polo 6C

Polo 6C - Hand brake keeps braking

Post by javico »

Hey mates,

Yesterday I went to use my 2015 Polo, however when trying to release the hand brake I realize that I can move it upwards and downwards, however the rear brake is still braking.
I can not move the car, as I don’t have way to unblocking it.
Any suggesting about the problem?

Thank you in advance guys!!
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Re: Polo 6C - Hand brake keeps braking

Post by amer6R »

1.Method the easy one to try. Loosen the handbrake cables
2.Method to try with 13mm spanner or socket to move the handbrake mechanism lever up ( towards the sky) -the part where the round ball from parking brake cable goes into, and work it a bit using wd40 or silicone spray. If it s a disc brake.
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

Post by 2226 »

Or your calipers are seized.
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

If you have rear drums, you could remove the rear wheel bolt and rotate the wheel while you can see the adjuster and adjust it so your parking shoes are loose.
javico
New

Post by javico »

amer6R wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:01 pm If you have rear drums, you could remove the rear wheel bolt and rotate the wheel while you can see the adjuster and adjust it so your parking shoes are loose.
Yes, I have rear drums. What bolt are you referring to?
javico
New

Post by javico »

amer6R wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:51 am 1.Method the easy one to try. Loosen the handbrake cables
2.Method to try with 13mm spanner or socket to move the handbrake mechanism lever up ( towards the sky) -the part where the round ball from parking brake cable goes into, and work it a bit using wd40 or silicone spray. If it s a disc brake.
It’s drum, I will try also removing the back cover, where the cable is passing through. I was watching a video on YouTube. I’m feeling strange that I can move the lever as usual but didn’t release.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

My guess is the rear brake shoes are 'stuck' to the drums , which is not uncommon on these cars .
Try driving forward and backwards to free off the brakes, they should release with a bang if they are going to other wise you will have to strip them down.

its not strange you can release the parking brake lever as this works but the shoes are not released from the braking surface inside the drums.
javico
New

Post by javico »

CarbonChaos wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:02 pm My guess is the rear brake shoes are 'stuck' to the drums , which is not uncommon on these cars .
Try driving forward and backwards to free off the brakes, they should release with a bang if they are going to other wise you will have to strip them down.

its not strange you can release the parking brake lever as this works but the shoes are not released from the braking surface inside the drums.
I will try to move a bit more forward, then backwards because I have a wall behind the car.
Do you think that maybe hitting the drums could be also released?
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

Hitting is the last option. :)

As already discussed, drive a bit forward then back, the shoes should come free if they are stuck.

Afterwards, drive at low speed in a safe area (away from traffic) and apply the handbrake gradually (several times) without stopping the car or causing sudden braking. Be aware that the vehicle tends to slow down when you gradually apply the parking brake.
Then, stop on a gently sloping ramp/hill, away from other vehicles/people or possible impact/crash sites, and verify the parking brake works properly.
javico
New

Post by javico »

ciclo wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:56 pm Hitting is the last option. :)

As already discussed, drive a bit forward then back, the shoes should come free if they are stuck.

Afterwards, drive at low speed in a safe area (away from traffic) and apply the handbrake gradually (several times) without stopping the car or causing sudden braking. Be aware that the vehicle tends to slow down when you gradually apply the parking brake.
Then, stop on a gently sloping ramp/hill, away from other vehicles/people or possible impact/crash sites, and verify the parking brake works properly.
Sure, I will do, thank you for the advice. I get back with the result
javico
New

Post by javico »

I have been checking the car, I realize is the right brake which is stuck and keeps braking. Just moving forward doesn’t release the drum.
I also tried to remove the drum cover, unfortunately as the brake pads are pushing, there is no way to take it out.
Any suggestions?
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

javico wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:34 pm I have been checking the car, I realize is the right brake which is stuck and keeps braking. Just moving forward doesn’t release the drum.
I also tried to remove the drum cover, unfortunately as the brake pads are pushing, there is no way to take it out.
Any suggestions?
any way you can turn the adjuster thru the wheel bolt hole? with a screw driver
javico
New

Post by javico »

amer6R wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:14 pm
javico wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:34 pm I have been checking the car, I realize is the right brake which is stuck and keeps braking. Just moving forward doesn’t release the drum.
Any suggestions?
any way you can turn the adjuster thru the wheel bolt hole? with a screw driver
I already tied, I can’t
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that now, you really need to remove the wheel from the side that is seized and using a large lump hammer and a block of wood (to use to spread the impact) - really whack the outer face of the drum a few times then repeat this with less force in against the circumference of the drum - mainly the front facing sector and the rear facing sector as that is where the brake shoes "reside".

Edit:- after you get this side freed up, either service the brakes - both front and rear, or get a garage to carry out a brake service.
Last edited by RUM4MO on Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

Heat the drum with a torch and smack it with a hammer it will be ok, outer part is just cosmetics