Farewell GTI

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
West Riding Limited
New
Drives: GTI

Farewell GTI

Post by West Riding Limited »

Well my GTI goes back shortly and I can’t believe how quickly three years have passed.
It has been a pleasure to own, relaxing to drive on a longer trip (although I have started to find the seats a bit hard) and power on tap if you need it. I’m generally an easy going driver but have found that there is not a lot that can beat the GTI away from the lights, and if it can it probably costs 3x as much. Thoroughly enjoyed the handling too and how it sticks to the road.
I’ve found the car to be well put together, and the only issue was wind noise through the windscreen. The dealer found that a strip of the seal was missing so replaced the seal under warranty. Thanks to this forum’s advice I changed the oem wipers to Aerotwins which were a great improvement. They came to the end of their life a couple of months ago so I dug the originals back out of the garage and they don’t seem as bad now, maybe all they need is a couple of years proving on a dark shelf!
Like many others I do find the DSG a bit harsh when overtaking, but as it is my first automatic car I haven’t anything to compare it to tbf. Smooth enough for steady driving though.
My mpg has been 35/36, not bad for a car with this power and an owner who does largely city commuting. 50+ on longer runs.
I wanted the smallest possible car that I could fit my bike inside, and that would offer a bit of fun whilst also being a practical daily driver, and was automatic. It has fulfilled all of this and at a very reasonable cost too so all in all well done VW.
Sorry I haven’t been so active on this forum but as you can see I haven’t had much to complain about! Also I am not especially knowledgeable as to be able to offer advice to others and I am grateful to those that are.
Finally I will have a rubber boot liner going spare, free to collect from BD16 postcode area, if anyone is interested please consider a donation to Marie Curie and let me know if you would like it.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Farewell GTI

Post by SRGTD »

Good to hear you’ve enjoyed your GTI. What will you be replacing it with?
West Riding Limited
New
Drives: GTI

Post by West Riding Limited »

A Toyota hybrid, depressingly could be my last car before retirement so the low emissions protect against future tax regimes and the 10 year warranty should allow me to run it into the ground. It is very smooth to drive though.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

A Toyota hybrid is on the shortlist for my next car before making the switch to an EV. Toyota have many years experience in building petrol/electric hybrids, plus they tend to have a reputation for excellent reliability and build quality. With my low annual mileage and limited opportunities to use my Polo GTI+’s full potential on today’s heavily congested roads, a Toyota hybrid would be the sensible ‘head over heart’ choice for me.

The 10 year warranty is also very appealing (3 year standard warranty, plus 1 extra year’s warranty each year the car’s serviced by a Toyota dealer),

Enjoy your new car when you get it.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Enjoy the new car and sensible purchase. I myself am considering a Lexus for the same reasons.
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Post by ad_182_uk »

My parents have had two hybrid toyotas. An auris and a ch-r - can’t stand them, no feel and wofty, un-tactile quirks such as the window up and down one touch being anti intuitive and the horrific auto gearbox that just never changes and makes it seem like the cars gonna blow up.

Ymmv