Is this an MOT failure?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
bigwoodlad
New
Drives: 6C

Is this an MOT failure?

Post by bigwoodlad »

Can anyone give me some advice here?

So basically the mechanism that pulls the bonnet release cable has broke (because the cable was stiff but it’s fixed now).

I ordered a new part for it but I just can’t get it to screw back in. The position of it is too awkward.

However, I can still open the bonnet if I pull on the cable with a pair of pliers

With this in mind, I have my MOT next month and I know they have to open to bonnet to check stuff. Will it still pass if they have to use pliers to open it or not?
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Re: Is this an MOT failure?

Post by amer6R »

can you post a picture with what part you have issues?
bigwoodlad
New
Drives: 6C

Post by bigwoodlad »

amer6R wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:32 pm can you post a picture with what part you have issues?
It’s this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165507263900 ... media=COPY

The ball of the cable goes in the hole at the top left, which is then pulled by the lever.

I’ve replaced them before, but this time is especially difficult for some reason
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

is the tension from the cable preventing you or? did you try with hood open/ closed.

maybe a swivel extension?
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

This may not be a mot failure but it would be a reason to ‘refuse to test’ as in the mot manual it states in the introduction section 4 refuse to test G,
g. A proper examination cannot be carried out because any door, tailgate, boot, engine cover, fuel cap or other device designed to be easily opened cannot be easily opened.

The tester would not be able to inspect any items under the bonnet area ? While I appreciate YOU can open the bonnet with pliers,it’s more about safety and access in an emergency
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes, battery fitting security would need to be checked - now that you have mentioned it, and possibly more.