“Error: Gearbox”

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
PoloOwner87
New
Drives: 2014 1.2 TSi

“Error: Gearbox”

Post by PoloOwner87 »

Hello!

I’m hoping for some help diagnosing a strange problem with my 2014 Automatic (60k miles). Been searching for a while but found no answers.

During the cold weather at the start of January, this error flashed up mid-journey on my dashboard then disappeared, but the engine MIL came on. While the MIL was on the transmission could not find any of gears 1/3/5/7. The MIL cleared when I restarted the engine and the car functioned fine.

This error was on and off for about a week intermittently. Sometimes clearing with a restart, sometimes not. It then cleared for a whole week in which I drove appx 200 miles. I thought it had gone, but it came back this weekend and so I have now stopped driving altogether.

I decided to buy an OBDII reader because I know very little about cars and didn’t want to walk blindly into a garage. The codes returned are P284B (shift fork ‘C’ stuck) and P283C (shift fork ‘C’ position circuit range/performance).

Does anyone have any experience remedying these error codes? If not can anyone have an educated guess as to what may be happening?

Really appreciate any help!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: “Error: Gearbox”

Post by RUM4MO »

I’d think that gear changing actions will be under the control of the mechatonics unit, so very little you can do to sort that out.
PoloOwner87
New
Drives: 2014 1.2 TSi

Re: “Error: Gearbox”

Post by PoloOwner87 »

RUM4MO wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:30 pm I’d think that gear changing actions will be under the control of the mechatonics unit, so very little you can do to sort that out.
Thanks for the response. In your experience, would this also hold true given that there are periods of 100s of miles where the car seems to return to normal?

The quotes I'm receiving for a new mechatronics unit are scarily high, so doing my best to rule out other potential fixes. Is there any way it could be something simple like a gearbox oil/fluid change?