My 4YO/23K GTI+ no GPF Regen yet?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
TheRacingRat
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

My 4YO/23K GTI+ no GPF Regen yet?

Post by TheRacingRat »

Hi all, I am wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me, my 2020 GTI+ will be 4 years old next month, I have covered 23k with a mixture of driving, but up to now as far as I am aware not had a GPF regen?? Anyone else not had one yet?
Anth146
New
Drives: 2018 White Polo GTI+ Non GPF

Re: My 4YO/23K GTI+ no GPF Regen yet?

Post by Anth146 »

Apparently, a GPF doesn't need to regenerate..

"The gasoline engine particulate filter (GPF) does not require a regeneration cycle to remove fine particles, to prevent clogging. The faster heating of the exhaust line allows the particles to be removed directly, evenly and imperceptibly for the driver."
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@TheRacingRat; there are two types of OPF / GPF regeneration - a) forced / active and b) passive.

The mix of journey type(s) driven, whether or not the car’s engine has fully warmed up to optimum operating temperature and the amount of particulate matter collected in the OPF / GPF will be determining factors in whether or not a car needs to perform an active OPF / GPF regeneration or whether particulate matter will be neutralised passively during long(er) journeys.

Your mix of journey types is probably sufficiently skewed towards longer journeys on a fully warmed up engine so that particulate matter is burned off passively. Cars fitted with versions of VAG’s 2.0 litre EA888 petrol engine that also have an OPF / GPF have certainly been programmed to perform regenerations - I’m aware of a number of owners on various VW and Seat / Cupra forums who’ve reported forced regenerations happening with their cars and have experienced the tell tale symptoms outlined in the main regeneration discussion topic on this forum. If you’ve not experienced a forced regeneration in nearly four years, then you are one of the lucky ones! 🙂
PO10ASH
Getting There!
Drives: POLO GTI+

Post by PO10ASH »

TheRacingRat wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:37 pm Hi all, I am wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me, my 2020 GTI+ will be 4 years old next month, I have covered 23k with a mixture of driving, but up to now as far as I am aware not had a GPF regen?? Anyone else not had one yet?
Not aware as in tail signs or not aware in terms of indication, as there's nothing displayed within the dashboard it's simply noticabily once your car starts dipping in MPG.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

PO10ASH wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:05 pm
TheRacingRat wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:37 pm Hi all, I am wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me, my 2020 GTI+ will be 4 years old next month, I have covered 23k with a mixture of driving, but up to now as far as I am aware not had a GPF regen?? Anyone else not had one yet?
Not aware as in tail signs or not aware in terms of indication, as there's nothing displayed within the dashboard it's simply noticabily once your car starts dipping in MPG.
Have look through this discussion topic for the tell tale signs of a forced GPF regeneration, one of which is a significant drop in mpg.

https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?t=73177

Neither VW nor Seat / Cupra have a ‘GPF regeneration in progress’ warning lamp in the instrumentation display to indicate an GPF regeneration is in progress so I’m assuming neither Audi nor Skoda do either. I did read on one VAG forum a while back (sorry, can’t remember which forum or which VAG brand) that someone did get a warning message to keep the engine running when their car’s GPF was going through a forced regeneration; presumably to ensure the regeneration had completed before the engine was switched off, as interrupting the process means that the regeneration will recommence at the next (and subsequent) ignition cycle(s) until it has finished. Stop start being inactive is one of the tell tale signs a regeneration is in progress, so the car itself doesn’t stop the regeneration part way through by switching off the engine.
fletch555
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by fletch555 »

It will also be noticeable as there is an increase in the fake engine sound coming through the speakers (it sounds very droney and annoying) and the car will feel lumpy at slow speeds. I just had my longest regen the other day. I did a 2hr drive and it was regenning the entire journey (which was composed of national roads and motorways)....very annoying as fuel consumption was very high!
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

fletch555 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:12 am It will also be noticeable as there is an increase in the fake engine sound coming through the speakers (it sounds very droney and annoying) and the car will feel lumpy at slow speeds. I just had my longest regen the other day. I did a 2hr drive and it was regenning the entire journey (which was composed of national roads and motorways)....very annoying as fuel consumption was very high!
I’m not sure if I’ve had an increase in fake engine sound. I have had a louder, droning exhaust note though, along with lumpy running at slow speeds and the poor fuel consumption. In addition, other symptoms I’ve experienced in my car during a forced OPF / GPF regen have been a ‘hot’ smell, the cooling fan running, hesitancy to accelerate at ‘normal’ driving speeds and stop start being inactive. In 16-17k miles / 45 months of owning the car from new I think I’ve been aware of 3 - possibly 4 forced regens in my car and each has lasted around 30 minutes. Once the regen is complete, everything’s back to normal.