Nasty rattling noises

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Nasty rattling noises

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Yet another of my problems, I seem to be filling up the forum with them atm :?

The old polo's recently developped a rather nasty rattle at low revs - tickover and a little above. It sounds like an exhaust rattle, but I checked and all of the mounting bolts are tight, and, although the rubbers aren't at their best, they're still in one piece and holding the exhaust alright so I'm not sure that that's it. Removing the centre console seems to make it a bit quieter, but I think that's just amplifying it rather than being the cause. Anyone got any bright ideas?
metz

Post by metz »

hmmm, u sure it aint the centre box near the downpipe as mine rattled with that after a lovely garage had fitted *yea right* a new middle box.

was like a buzzing vibrating noise. shaking car.
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

It's not so much a buzzing noise as a noise like the exhaust rattling against something under the car, although I can't think what it could be... All the bolts are as tight as I dare take them anyway, having just snapped a mounting bolt off my carburettor overtightening it (seems to be running just as well with one mounting bolt as it did with two.. it'll do for now ;) )
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

Does it do it when you put your foot down? My black GT used to do it and it was the catalytic converter hitting the tunnel brace.
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

It does it most when I'm just pulling away slowly in first gear, sitting in traffic etc. Does it a bit idling as well.
I'd check if the cat was hitting anything.. but I don't have one ;)
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

Well yes but thats where its most liable to catch from experience.... :P
steve_1990clmk2
New

Post by steve_1990clmk2 »

i had the same problem.turned out to be loose bolts on the clamp that holds the exhaust to the manifold.
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Mm, I've had that a couple of times but they seem to be pretty tightly on there now... I'll go through all the mounting bolts again on sunday, make sure I haven't missed anything..