Two questions......

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
The G Man
Getting There!

Two questions......

Post by The G Man »

Well, one really, but I'd also appreciate it if you can post pictures of your MKII's here as well (especially Breadvans/Hatchbacks) Am trying to make mine a little bit more unique and just wanted to see some modified ones.

The question:

Am after a new grill - one of the ones with quad lights (ie: 4 lamps) - there's one on ebay at the moment but does it have to be a Polo MK 2 grill? The one i'm watching is from a Mk 2 Golf. Can anybody tell me what makes of grill will fit my Mk 2 Polo Hatch? (ie: Will any Mk 1/Mk 2 Golf grill fit - what about a Mk 1 Polo)

Cheers :D
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Only mk2 polo grilles will fit. If you want I can easily lay my hands on one for you, it'd be about £15 + p&p.

Here's mine:

Not very modified I know, but I like it :)
The G Man
Getting There!

Very nice.....

Post by The G Man »

I do like those white dashboard dials - were they easy to come by?

If you could get me a four lamp Mk2 grill then that would be great. I can pay by cheque - just let me know the full cost plus a little something for your trouble. If you email me we can sort that out:

jackieandandyg@blueyonder.co.uk

How do people put pictures on here? I have some of my polo but am not sure how to do it. So, if anyone wants to look at my Polo then email me above and I'll send pictures. Only if anyone's interested that it.

Cheers,

Andy.
:D
steve_1990clmk2
New

Post by steve_1990clmk2 »

GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

I made the dials myself, just took a bit of scanning and a few hours of photoshop wizardry :) Going to replace them with black dials soon though, apart from anything else I think I got the scaling a bit wrong on those white ones which makes me a bit nervous every time I pass a speed camera..

If you want somewhere to host photos, email them to me (carrot@groovycarrot.co.uk) and I'll put them on my website for you.

I've send you an email :)
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

the scaling shouldnt matter so long as you got the marks at the right points around the circle. making something bigger or smaller wont affect what degree angle its at..
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Yeah, problem is that mk2 dials are slightly rectangular rather than square, and I don't think I took that into account. They may have turned out ok anyway, but it'd be nice to have a bit of peace of mind :)

For those who haven't seen it, this is the G-Man's polo:

Very tidy old fox :)
The G Man
Getting There!

Thanks for that GroovyCarrot...

Post by The G Man »

I'd just given it a good clean when I took those photo's! It needs a little bit of work (again) around the front 'middle' wiper as it's a bit rusty. Believe it or not I only paid £250! Prior to that I had a red polo (also MK2 but the one with the rear spoiler) - Had to keep on top of the T-cutting on that one though as it went pink very quickly - especially on the bonnet.

Have now fitted clear indicators to the front and am contemplating replacing the side indicators with clear ones.

Can't wait to replace the front grill with a four lamp one.
mk2keel
Bronze Member

firstly i am sorry...

Post by mk2keel »

yes firstly i am sorry for these pictures being soooo big so if the mods dont like them being this big just delete the post or ask me to do something about it and i shall.

Riiiighty then...

This is eleanor when i first bought her, she is an E reg mk2 coupe S with 80k miles on the original engine and 5 speed gearbox.
Yes they are viper stripes and NO i didnt put them there.

BUT
her bodywork never was anygood from day one so a week later...

a shoddy attempt at a mk3 bumper

then i bought a bad look grille spoiler

and decided i would respray her a completely different colour altogether...

i started with the interior

and thas where our story temporarily ends folks because i am still correcting the bodywork but i am pleased to say she is almost finished in the way of smoothing, next thing is the bumpers (RS front and rear)
steve_1990clmk2
New

Post by steve_1990clmk2 »

I'll try to get some pics of my car up sometime. At the moment the paintwork is rough. When i bought the car it was some awful green colour. To pass the time one day i decided to paint it black. Only thing is the paint totally reacted to the previous paint so the next job is to start again when the weather improves.
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

let me guess you guys

you see a polo and you want to paint it black...
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Have to say, I quite fancy painting mine black.. but I can't really warrent spending that much money on having it done professionally, and painting's one thing I always hash up when I do it myself, so it'll stay white for now..
Need to get round to sanding and respraying the O/S wing, thinking about it.. spilt superglue on it a month ago and it won't come off :evil:
I do still want to go for my original plan of spraying the whole thing metallic purple though :twisted: The inside of the doors are still that colour...
Karl_CLCoupe
Platinum Member

Post by Karl_CLCoupe »

Nice to see where you're up to keel, I have seen the 2nd pic a lot, and was really keen to know how you were getting on. The interiors looking mint in black with the trim that she came with 8) . Keep everyone posted how shes coming along.

@Steve be good to see some pics of a last of the line Mark2

@G Man, nice tidy motor you got there. Whats in the pipeline then?

Karl.
bstardchild

Re: firstly i am sorry...

Post by bstardchild »

mk2keel wrote:yes firstly i am sorry for these pictures being soooo big so if the mods dont like them being this big just delete the post or ask me to do something about it and i shall.

Riiiighty then...

This is eleanor when i first bought her, she is an E reg mk2 coupe S with 80k miles on the original engine and 5 speed gearbox.
Yes they are viper stripes and NO i didnt put them there.
Was that advertised on ebay - I seem to remember the picture
The G Man
Getting There!

Post by The G Man »

Hi Guys......

Must admit - not got a lot in the pipework at the moment. Am a little stuck for ideas - that 'n lack of cash. Would like to (at some stage) get a set of alloys but changing wheel sizes is new to me. Mine are 13" so could I get away with 14" alloys? At the moment though the trims are okay.

Have just purchased a set of clear side indicators for Mk2 off ebay. Hope they fit. They'll match my clear front indicators.

I keep looking on ebay for any little add-ons that I can buy but honestly their's not a lot for Mk2 Polo's on there.

Anyone got any suggestions that I can do on a low budget? Also, d'ya think I should lose the stripe from down either side? If so, what's the easiest way to get it off without taking the paintwork with it?

One final thing before I sign off for now - been trying to find out why my Polo is hard to start from cold. I know it's probably to be expected with the age of the car but it's had new spark plugs, leads, rotor arm, distributor cap, electronic distributor, air filter, carb. cleaned, new piston rings and cam belt - even a new battery. Anyway, inside the air filter housing there is a small rectangular block that has two pipes leading to it from the underside (One pipe runs into the carb) Am I right in saying this is the air temperature sensor? Original one was definately knackered - I know this as when I bought the car the two pipes had been pulled off and joined together! When I re-joined them to this block the car kept cutting out whilst engine was warming up. Anyway, I replaced it with one from the scrappy which cured the cutting out during warm up (so I assume it's okay) Anybody know what it does exactly and how I can test it to see if it's in full working order? I would buy a new one but can't seem to find them anywhere on the internet.

Thanks.

:D