Problems with POLO!!!!!!

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
tdisport
Getting There!

Problems with POLO!!!!!!

Post by tdisport »

Hi,

Just joined forum. Very impressed.

After reading msgs, just wanted 2 add my story. Your not the only ones with problems. Im on my 2nd "tough" new polo. the 1st one I had delivered 1st march was full 0f problems and i had to get replacement (not easy with VW).

Now on my 2nd and already had 1/2 dash replaced, new door panel, new instrument binacle, new steering wheel and the dash/review mirror rattle. appart from that, love the car. Its my 1st diesel and v.happy. Good economy and performance and the goods news is that it should get better with age. My dad's mats's got an A2 tdi and he said at 16,000 miles it just opened up and economy/performance improved dramatically. hope mines the same.

Russ.
dxg

Post by dxg »

How did you manage to get a replacement?

I've tried pretty much everything - to the point that VW UK is no longer speaking to me, not just my dealer.

Trading Standards say you've got around 28 days after purchase in which to return the car otherwise you're into the domain of making repairs to bring back to "satisfactory quality" under the Sales of Good Act (or Supply of Goods Act, depending on your financing).

We you lucky enough to just reject the car, without having to go through repairs, or were repairs attempted and failed??

Mine still rattles like no one's business (worse after the dealer's looked). I've been advised to "give it a few thousand more miles" and "it'll get better or worse". Dealer at least admits there's a problem.

Was it the central part of the dash (i.e. around the stereo/vent with no texture, or the part abutting the windscreen base (again with not texture)??)

Why did you have the door panel replaced?? I have "lumps" in the plastic moulding, but haven't even attempted to get them replaced.

If I could find out if these problems are across the range, it would be really helpful to my case...

Have you had any problems with the replacement...

To be frank, when the car came back from its last stint at the dealer with its first dent in it, I gave up on VW.

Legally - I'm not stating an opinion here, just facts. :roll:

Anyway, just venting - I've needed to vent a lot after buying this car...

(Do the A2 and the Polo share the same Diesel engine, then??)

Edited to point out that my car is one of the last on the "old" spec - it has half leather, but no CD (i.e. the SE's now have both). I'm just wondering if the spec change was more than a spec change, if you get my drift...

Also to say that I will be chasing VW again tomorrow, now that I've read your post (Oh, welcome, BTW :) ) - I feel the need for a goodwill guesture... (Taking the car back would be a good one!)
tdisport
Getting There!

Replacement

Post by tdisport »

If i could work out how to add a picture I could show you straight away why I had replacement. I had to work bloody hard and was on the phone everyday to dealer, tried trading standards, wrote to 'help sections' in car magazines. I would not let it rest. The problems were more serious than rattly trim. I muist have mislead you. In end, went to another dealer showed them the car and the phoned VW stating how disgusting state my car was in and should never have been sold to me. After months of agro with dealer they phoned me up with offer of new car.

When i did pick up car I was told that I wasn't the only one with problems and there was one other person that was getting replacement.

Anyway, my new car has not been without problems and I have had all the rattles you had. Really annoying, as after 2000 in 1st car most of the rattles disappeared and it drove OK!!!!!

How come you have leather wheel then - as far as I knew none of the early models (1st march) had small leather pack as standard. Mines supposed to be top of range (sport) and didn't come with leather pack (wheel, gear knob and handbrake) or CD player. NOW IT DOES!!!
BTW tried VW to get them to put these on my car as it was only like a month after got 2nd car that they changed spec! No joy as they said I already had 'bonus' on car.

Also, it is same engine in A2 (1.4 3cyl tdi ). Of course, A2 is aluminum so its bit lighter but not that much i think.

R.
12-valve
New

Post by 12-valve »

I had a problem with my New Polo right from the word go - it had warped front discs. I could feel the brakes pulsing under my right foot and the steering would shake too.
The earliest I could get it back to the dealer was a week after delivery. The head mechanic took it out for a test drive, agreed immediately with my diagnosis and refused to let me drive the car any more. He reckoned he'd never come across a Polo with this problem before, especially one with only 300 miles on the clock and still being run in. He dropped me back at work and took my car back into the workshop for new front discs and pads.
Two hours later I received a phone call saying my car was ready, and this was all without having booked in advance. Brilliant service from the dealer.
tdisport
Getting There!

4got to add...

Post by tdisport »

I did not let dealer get hands on car at all 'cos once they did, I knew they would have repaired quicker than you can say VW and then I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

1st car had one major problem through my eyes (literally and metaphorically - if you get my drift) and few niggly probs.

2nd car has following probs:

(i) ratting on LHD side dash - still there. guess plastic against plastic.

(ii) ratting centre consule - around vents. had this replaced due to an accident by dealer cracking it when trying to fix rattles. they put new one in and was worse. took it back. they put silicone under tray at top but now it doesn't sit that flush.

(iii) ratting rear view mirror - especially when on dipped at night.

(iv) brakes make grinding sound when reversing. Sounds like a righ old shed. Dealer response - they all do that - no asbestos in pads anymore. Is this true??

(v) ratting seatbelt things that go up and down on b-post. this really p*issed me off as right next to ear.

(vi) instrument binacle or behind that (dash against screen rattles). Think its finally settled down. Seems worse when climate on hot or cold as plastic expands.

(vii) brake pads low light came on and stayed on. evertime drove car would get really loud beeping (like low fuel). That was really annoying. Drove 100 miles to have it replaced. Dealer could not do it. Replacement was faulty. Drove 100 miles again same prob. Keys would not code. Left it there and demanded courtesy car. Finally fix prob!!

(viii) oh and while fixing seat another dealer managed to mangle 1/2 dash up including: door (by puddle light), centre consule, shelf under glovebox, sill, and b post. Not bad 4 one afternoon. Of course, nothing easy. Manged to make them order replacements. Took 4 weeks to come. Had to drive back to dealer - not only were door trims etc.. wrong color they were for wrong side. So got parts manager out and he orderd new ones and asured me they would be right. Waited months or two then drove 3 hours to dealer. Were still waiting for some parts but took what they had. Oh. Hang on. They were wrong colour. He blamed sticker on inside of boot saying trim code was wrong. Whatever! It had been July to Sepember/Oct now. Anyway, recently had that done and seems ok so far (touch wood).

Anyway, in the space of a few months I had become intimately familiar with not 1 but 3 bloody dealerships!

I have called the tough new polos everthing under the sun. Sometimes I hate it! Overall tough, I am really pleased and compared to competition - new clio, fiesta or corsa it wins hands down. I even love the design of the dash (Despite rattles). 10 times better than golf which feels dated!

Anyway, sorry to drag on, you must have fallen asleep by now.

R.

PS - VW should change there advert to:

TOUGH, you bough a new Polo
instead of the Tough New Polo.
tdisport
Getting There!

Where's that dealer!!

Post by tdisport »

12-V

I wish I could have dealt with a dealer like that!!

I've had to negotiate with three. In end got to know service manager at my parents local one well and (touch wood) they are OK. Going back there for 10,000 mile service.

PS are any of you on variable serive or not?? My dads a bit sceptical and said you should service it every year.
His mate with A2 tdi just had 1st service ater 20,000 miles and said next is in 2 years!! So his must be variable.
dxg

Re: 4got to add...

Post by dxg »

TDIsport,
I did not let dealer get hands on car at all 'cos once they did, I knew they would have repaired quicker than you can say VW and then I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
Ah, the benefit of hindsight, if only I'd known that right at the start.... Still never thought I'd be speaking to Trading Standards and the Citizens Advice Bureau about "matters of consumer law". I've just resigned myself to the fact that I'm stuck with this car now, and am just treating the whole thing as one extended learning experience (which is being shared with friends, colleagues, the postman, the cat....)
1st car had one major problem through my eyes (literally and metaphorically - if you get my drift) and few niggly probs.
Sounds like something not for public exposure. I notice JoshGTI (i.e. the guy whose forum we're habiting) is asking for locations with a view to a meet - just make sure it's near a pub...

(i) ratting on LHD side dash - still there. guess plastic against plastic.
Had this, dealler actually fixed it by filling btwn the windscreen glass and front edge of dahs with polyurethane foam (i.e. expanding) - just put the whoel dash under stress, so it's the kind of fix that will wear off in a few years when the foam degrades
(ii) ratting centre consule - around vents. had this replaced due to an accident by dealer cracking it when trying to fix rattles. they put new one in and was worse. took it back. they put silicone under tray at top but now it doesn't sit that flush.
I now have this, courtesy of dealer.
(iii) ratting rear view mirror - especially when on dipped at night.
Woot! - something I don't have! (Sorry if you don't want to hear that)
(iv) brakes make grinding sound when reversing. Sounds like a righ old shed. Dealer response - they all do that - no asbestos in pads anymore. Is this true??
Mine does this also, at low speeds, like when reversing out a parking space. Friends Golf GTi does it too, but he said it was due to replacement disc pads being incorrectly fitted. Haven't even bothered the dealer with this problem.
(v) ratting seatbelt things that go up and down on b-post. this really p*issed me off as right next to ear.
Skipped this one.
(vi) instrument binacle or behind that (dash against screen rattles). Think its finally settled down. Seems worse when climate on hot or cold as plastic expands.
Oh yes, all sounds familair - odd that this was the dealer's first point of attack in trying to solve the rattles. My standard comment to passengers when starting a cold car is - "the rattles came free". I agree that they vary with temperature. Pushing down on the untexture dash part a couple of inches behind the centre of the windscreem base makes them go away for as long as pressure applied??

Methinks someone forgot about differences in thermal co-efficients of expansion when specing the plastics to use in the dash assembly.
(vii) brake pads low light came on and stayed on. evertime drove car would get really loud beeping (like low fuel). That was really annoying. Drove 100 miles to have it replaced. Dealer could not do it. Replacement was faulty. Drove 100 miles again same prob. Keys would not code. Left it there and demanded courtesy car. Finally fix prob!!
Yup, not this problem, but I have found a shift from the "lets work together to get these problems resolved" to a "fix the bl**dy thing - it shouldn't do this" attitude has been required to get action.
(viii) oh and while fixing seat another dealer managed to mangle 1/2 dash up including: door (by puddle light), centre consule, shelf under glovebox, sill, and b post. Not bad 4 one afternoon. Of course, nothing easy. Manged to make them order replacements. Took 4 weeks to come. Had to drive back to dealer - not only were door trims etc.. wrong color they were for wrong side. So got parts manager out and he orderd new ones and asured me they would be right. Waited months or two then drove 3 hours to dealer. Were still waiting for some parts but took what they had. Oh. Hang on. They were wrong colour. He blamed sticker on inside of boot saying trim code was wrong. Whatever! It had been July to Sepember/Oct now. Anyway, recently had that done and seems ok so far (touch wood).
Blimey! The worst I've had is its first dent came courtesy of the dealer - still arguing for that one to get fixed.
Anyway, in the space of a few months I had become intimately familiar with not 1 but 3 bloody dealerships!

I have called the tough new polos everthing under the sun. Sometimes I hate it! Overall tough, I am really pleased and compared to competition - new clio, fiesta or corsa it wins hands down. I even love the design of the dash (Despite rattles). 10 times better than golf which feels dated!
I have to agree that the polo is still the best thing out there. Having been dumped with a Corsa hire car for a couple fo weeks recently (see above...), I can vouch for this. Still the dealer's service manager and I had a good laugh about the effectiveness of his strategy of handing out Vauxhalls as hire cars.
Anyway, sorry to drag on, you must have fallen asleep by now.
Actually, although I hate to say it, I'm oddly reasured in a perverse way by the fact that someone else has had the same magnitude of problems. I notice that you don't mention the exterior of the car - was your bonnet on straight?, did your drivers door shut properly?

Shall we unite in our misery?!

Sod it, I do still aim to get the problems fixed. I do beleive there's a good car under there somewhere, God I hope so...

R.

PS - VW should change there advert to:
TOUGH, you bough a new Polo
instead of the Tough New Polo.
nice - workmates had a good laugh at that :lol: (at my expense (again :( )...)
dxg

Post by dxg »

Tdi,

I got my car at the beginning of August, after a three week delivery period. I'm guessing it was built sometime during June??

It was just on the point of the spec change. It had leather bits, but the CDs started coming as standard almost as soon as I drove it out the dealers.

I remember the first couple of weeks well - blissful ignorance of what lay ahead...

12-v

Come on, I know it's not a good idea to name a dealer when you're not complimenting them, but if you've found a good one, care to let the rest of us in on the tip... :wink:

Deek
12-valve
New

Post by 12-valve »

Yeah, sorry, forgot to give a huge shout out to the dealer which sorted my warped discs and knackered pads out so quickly.
So here it is:

Beadles (Sevenoaks) Ltd
Sevenoaks Road
Otford
Kent
Tel: 01959 525222

Nice one, guys (and gals) :lol:
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

I had a whole heap of problems with my Tdi Sport.

Rattling dash - Front half removed and replaced.
Non functioning Stereo - Replaced after 2 completely boring months
numerous paint defects - resolved after 3 months

Various other rattles passenger door - not reported yet but will do
Grinding brakes when reversing slowly. Will Report on first service

Payment problems, VW finance messing me around.

I was this close to handing the car back, don't get me wrong I love the car but these problems were getting to me. Glad I'm not the only one.
tdisport
Getting There!

hows this for a laugh!

Post by tdisport »

Quote from a website:

Typical VW the Polo will have the same class leading quality and refinement as the current Golf and Jetta. The cabin of this new German car will feature a high quality finish and good ergonomy with the familiar VW solidity.

(LOL - I dont think so!!)

in response to other quesitons:

Body work on 1st polo was the main problem!!!
Touch wood, new one OK but front bumper and body dont match particularly well. Hard to spray plastic i guess.
Oh, and i manged to let door of reno hire car slam into mine but luckily polished out!!

Will post photos of old and new if somebody tells me how. Couldn't work it out from post I read on help section. Then you can see full story!!

tdisport.
tdisport
Getting There!

Oh yeah - passenger doors

Post by tdisport »

does anyone else have probs with doors creaking?? Stupid question i know but one day few months ago, reversed out of mums garage and the doors started creaking. I think its the shiny plastic by the windows.

I have 5 door so perhps that makes it worse?

Dealer put silicone and went away but now come back. Quite disorientating if driving over uneven road without radio and the car's creaking.

tdisport.
dxg

Post by dxg »

OK, let's try this picture thing...

First, the bonnet overhang (the driver's side was flush):

Then the driver's door:

And the new dent, provided free of charge by the dealer:

Actually, comparing the last two pictures (it's been a while since I looked, bad memories, and all that...), did they actually do anything to the driver's door? (I know the passenger door's now the same) - are they supposed to shut flush, or what (this is a 3dr...)

Hmmm. Just the wrong time to notice this - having just "settled" with VW's offer of a goodwill gesture about half an hour ago...

B*ll*cks.

(I'll be taking the pcis down in a day or so, so enjoy them while they last!)
Last edited by dxg on Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tdisport
Getting There!

Cant see it.

Post by tdisport »

Sorry. Being dumb. What happen with the bonnet?? Does not fit?? too close to headlight??

What about dent?? Mechanics driving like maniacs at dealer. Same thing happened to my dad. Scratched his pug when took 4 a service. They even scratched his new scooby when sorting out tyres and he hadn't even picked it up!!!!!

What about driver's door - does it stick out sideways, or does it not fit flush heigh wise.

tdisport (indigo blue).

ps - how they hell did you do photos??
dxg

Post by dxg »

Bonnet: - it was the amount of overhang on the leading edge - on the driver's side it was flush with the plastic btwn the lights, on the passenger side (photo), it was around an 8mm overhand (look at the top edge of the paper - it's pushing up against the overhang!)

Driver's door - the vertical trailing edge going up the pillar didn't (and still doesn, although not as much) shut flush with the rear quarter glass. (The paper is pushed hard against the door, yet is about 5mm away from the glass - look at the relfection - the door was shut!)

Just annoyed at the dent - the door's obviously been opened out into a piece of equipment in the workshop - there's a perfectly horizontal "supermarket trolley - type" dent at the centre of the distortion.

As for pictures - find a website to put them on. In your browser, type in the full url for each picture in term - i.e. http://www.adomain.com/images/mypicture.jpg

Then highlight that url in your browser - you'll know it's right because you'll just be seeing your picture - copy it, paste it into the reply dialogue in this forum - highlight it there and click the "Img" button underneath the "subject" line - this will insert the tags you need. add explanatory text as required. sorted!