Bit of info required

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Bit of info required

Post by KarlM »

I'm looking for a bit more info about this type of car, i'm wanting to create a euro/low rider sort of car but theres a couple of details i need to check.

Is there a special name for this model (or is it just a Polo Coupe?)

What engines are available?

How much am i going to have to pay to get one of these? and where am i best looking?

Can you get classic car insurance policies for them?

I know its a lot to ask, but i got stung big time when i bought my beetle so i'm a bit cautious buying old cars now...

Thanks in advance

Karl
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

This particular model is a Derby (saloon)

From memory you can get the L/LS/GLS

Engine options were 1.0 and 1.3, first model had chrome bumpers and the GLS models had chrome grille surrounds and chrome window trim, so this really is the one to go for. Interior was pretty basic but well ahead of competition at the time. The GLS also had a sliding sunroof. You'd be hard pressed to find one in decent nick now and find it difficult to get replacement parts.

Good Luck

Des
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

I know, when i got my Beetle 1303 i nearly died when i saw how much parts were and how hard they were to find!

what i am looking for when i buy then? are there any hot spots for rust or any thing like that?
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

Significant, NO, Just check around the wings, they usually get hit the hardest.
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

There was also a 850cc Mk 1, but 'm not sure which models had this engine.

Make sure the battery compartment isn't rusty as they usually start there.

The Derby will be a lot harder to find, as they were less common than the coupe. Just keep checking all the classifieds.
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

If you want a Derby and see one on the road, chase the owner down and try to buy it from him. You'd be surprised at how effective this can be, the owner (unless he's a dub fanatic) usually cannot see the appeal of lets face it VW's weirdest car (in standard form) and will probably sell. My mate did this so it can reap rewards.

Whatever you do though, don't buy the facelifted model with plastic bumpers, Yeeeeeeeuck.
audi50
New

Re: Bit of info required

Post by audi50 »

KarlM wrote:Image

I'm looking for a bit more info about this type of car, i'm wanting to create a euro/low rider sort of car but theres a couple of details i need to check.

Is there a special name for this model (or is it just a Polo Coupe?)

What engines are available?

How much am i going to have to pay to get one of these? and where am i best looking?

Can you get classic car insurance policies for them?

I know its a lot to ask, but i got stung big time when i bought my beetle so i'm a bit cautious buying old cars now...

Thanks in advance

Karl

Hi Karl,

in Germany u can get hole cars. Also in good condition cause the fan club for the Derby is not very big. A lot of guys asking for the rarest Audi50 models or Polo MK 1 with metal bumpers and so on. You can get good Derbys for EURO 999 or lower. I got a lot of offers but I had 4 cars. 3 Audi50 ( also the oldest 1,1 60 PS HC car build in 1 week september 1974, a 1978 Audi 50 GLS 1,3 L HH 60 PS ( still running only 16! pcs on German streets), a December 1974 cylonbeige audi50 with headlight cleaning system an my MK 1 with ( spell it in German "eckige Dachkante") bulit in 4. 1976. The last car is my projekt for the Berg race ( Group H look). Big engine, 255/35/14 wheels on the back and 225/40/14 on the front. 3 piece Opel (Vauxhall) wheels by HTN Germany.

Also there is the normal version called, Derby and the CLS and the LX Version( know that the LX MK 1 Polo has been sold to the UK)

u need more infos ? Contact me....

Mike