9N Polo interior rattles and squeaks?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Babe RuthLess
Gold Member

9N Polo interior rattles and squeaks?

Post by Babe RuthLess »

Hi all.
Well it's been little over a month and 1900 km and I've had to take my Polo to VW to have its interior checked. :( Turns out the front driver's seat was squeaky and there were a few rattles coming from the centre console and air vents. :?

The VW garage mechanic told me that VW had already released some Technical Bulletins about those issues and I got my car fixed in a few hours.

Still, it bugs me that an expensive car (for the size anyway) made in what is claimed to be VAG's most up-to-date factory should have that sort of problem after a year in production (in Brazil, even longer in Spain and Slovakia). :shock:

Are there other Polo owners out there experiencing similar problems? Any feedback is welcome!
dxg

Post by dxg »

They all rattle. And after my experiences with my dealer's work to fix them (full dash removal and refit) I still have rattles and would strongly advise anyone with minor ones just to live with them. It's not worth the hassle of trying to get them "properly" fixed. The amount of (albeit minor) damage that's been done to the interior of my car is unbelievable and _very_ annoying.
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

the only rattle I've noticed so far is the passengers seat belt.
the only way to stop it is to plug it in. but mind you i had the same problem on the mk5.

James.
dxg

Post by dxg »

Ok, I'll qualify that:

In my opinion, based on my experiences, "they all rattle"

But, I think, this ground's been covered before and the board's moved on since then, so let's not go back down this road.
Mikeyw
Bronze Member

Post by Mikeyw »

getting a rattle from my handbrake when I go over a bump! That's it.
Babe RuthLess
Gold Member

Post by Babe RuthLess »

Thanks for the replies so far.

I went back this road because I was very annoyed by both the fact that the car had these -admitedly minor- problems and the fact that I was very unhappy with VW service so far (today's was my third attempt to fix the rattles in the 3rd different dealer, out of 5 VW dealers in my city).

It's partially solved now and I think I'll leave at that until the first major service at 30,000km.

On a side note -and I just have to say this- VW dealerships in Brazil have the bad habit of placing unwanted advertising on their clients' cars. Well I just found out that today VW Carbel removed the previous VW Catalão sticker and placed its own (smaller one), thus leaving sticky glue all over the inside of the rear glass as they made a very poor attempt at removing the glue that was already there. Spread the stick stuff around and all over the place.

Disgusting.

That's it for now...

Cheers,
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

DXG is right, and as they've said in other posts...

If you have small problems with your car it can be best to just live with it. My local dealer butchered my old MK5, I took it in because the driver window squeeked as it went up or down. The pulled the door panel off and left lots of marks and damaged the door itself. Yeah, the fixed the squeek but cause a lot more damage.

I personnaly would think twice about taking it to my local dealer, I got the car from there but I'd rather drive the extra 30 miles to take it to a competent dealer who can actually fix the thing with out causing other problems.

It may be different where you are but speaking to other VW owners you should get an Idea of which is best. At least you have a big choice.

Same with servicing.

I'm just lucky with my 9n. So far, so good.

James.
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

when i get a problem i try to fix it my self meaning that i learn about the car more and also if you are ever in desperate need of a repair then your now waiting ages at the dealer
and btw one of the best ways to fix a rattle is to get sone foam tape (one sided sticky) and put that in the rattle area as it cushoins it and if its still rattling use double sided
Mikeyw
Bronze Member

Post by Mikeyw »

I am now getting creaks from my diver door I think!! :cry:

It might be the seat actually?

If the dealer keep the car for a day, will they give you another car in return?
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

Only if you book it in advance, and you are looking at 2-3 weeks.

Remember the weather can have an adverse affect on the squeaks some people are experiencing, as everything expands due to the heat you gonna get this, just crank up the aircon, turn the temp dial all the way over to the left do not leave it on 18 otherwise it'll be regulated. Pump as much cold air in as possible to bring the temp down, then your problems should subside.

You should notice that you get less creaks in the Winter.
Mikeyw
Bronze Member

Post by Mikeyw »

That is true!

Anyway, I have stuff some paper inbetween the gaps so hope that cures things. LOL
Mikeyw
Bronze Member

First Warranty Work

Post by Mikeyw »

The leaver to tilt the seat forward (3 door) has snapped off and the driver seat is faulty so booked it in! Also, got creaks from my door or seat to sort out.

Oh well, I didn't get away with a faultless car.