Bought a mk2!

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Bought a mk2!

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

After years in the wilderness, I have finally gone back to my roots and bought a mk2! Its a good one as well. Check it out;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 4502806320
Karl_CLCoupe
Platinum Member

Post by Karl_CLCoupe »

Good stuff 8) . Saw this on porka. Looks a real minter for its age.

Karl.
mk2keel
Bronze Member

Post by mk2keel »

hehehehehe
I would be confident in saying this car has never exceeded 60mph in its lifetime!
looks like a good find, nice price too.
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

apart from that wheel arch, and assuming no porkie pies are being flung, the word of the day is

pukka

:lol:
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Yeah it looks pretty damn good. 8) Ive had worse rust than that on a mk3! :o I just hope it lives up to my expectations. And if not theres a heluva lot of deecent parts on it worth selling like an 8P box mr tahrey! :wink:
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Ooh, mine has a twin :D
..except yours is higher spec, more powerful and probably in much better condition :(

Nice find though, really does look in great condition, sounds like it's been treated perfectly throughout it's life :)
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

lo GC yeah I did think when I saw it it was alot like yours. ;) The reg is almost identical as well. What 3 numbers do you have if you dont mind me asking? Im sure they were similar too. I will get more pics when I pick it up on saturday! :D
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

576 :)

C576 JOB --> C653 JOD

Very similar indeed :D Better never park next to each other..
Even done the same kind of mileage - yours has 89,000 on it, mine just clicked over 85,000 this afternoon :)

Quite a rare old beast, a ranger.. don't see many of them around anymore. Nice to see one being rescued before it ends up in the big garage in the sky ;)
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

GroovyCarrot wrote: Quite a rare old beast, a ranger.. don't see many of them around anymore. Nice to see one being rescued before it ends up in the big garage in the sky ;)
I think this is the first C reg one Ive ever seen. I used to have a G reg one as my first car back int day. That one had less miles on it but it was very rusty (built in spain) And the spec was poor - basically a polo CL with roofbars - no sunroof or rev counter and a standard interior. It was a nice colour though; same as my GT. :)
Tahrey1043
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

lol dont forget the engine.........

not that i partic feel like peeing about with boxes any more!
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Yep the engine should still be good. Although the complete Item is worth less than the sum of its parts. As you may know I got an engine and gearbox identical to the setup in my ranger for £10! All that was missing was the alternator and carburettor. It had an alloy rocker cover as well! :D
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Lovely :D I'm assuming from the wolfsburg steering wheel and the lack of rear spoiler that there's an old mechanical engine under the bonnet (ie pre-1986 revisions)?
Impressively little rust anywhere, everything looks like it's in perfect condition. Incredible to find bolstered seats in that kind of condition.. that's what I'm looking for at some point, my driver's seat is far too collapsed for my liking.
Just noticing the plastic gear knob you've got there, I have a 5 speed leatherette gearknob that's been lying around my bedroom doing nothing for months, it's yours if you want it, does make it feel nicer ;)
Gotta love the stereo as well - classic :lol:
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Rangers never had rear spoilers - one of their many advantages! :D

As for the engine its a late C reg (june 86 or there abouts) and thus its a hydraulic headed MH lump with 5-speed ecobox.

As for the steering wheel its a standard 3 spoke coupe s/ranger one, my other ranger had the same, Its fantastic! alot smaller than a mk3 one, wish I had kept my other one and fitted that to my first mk3. Just looking at the pic it might be hard to see cos the wheel is kinda upside down.

I quite like the plastic gearknob (Im in a minority I know) My other ranger had a leatherette one and it seemed less well made, I prefer the engraved numbers rather than a sticker on the top. Thanks for the offer though.

Its a west germany built model which explains the lack of rust to a large extent, although the rear arches are worse than I thought they were, but still not arf bad. :D

Those seats are mint! Theyve had seat covers on since 1988 and are in absolutely superb condition. Theyre got a very interesting texture to them - kind of like carpet and a very thick weave.

Theres a couple of things Ive found wrong with it so far (minor in the grand scheme of things) Heres the lowdown;(copied from porka to save time)

The autochoke doesnt work AT ALL. when it was faulty on my other mk2 it would work initially then switch off too quicky. this one just has a permanent slow idle. After about 30 seconds though it wouldnt cut out the rev counter would just drop to about 200rpm and stayed there! (until i blipped the throttle that is) After a couple of minutes it was fine though

The cover of drivers side door card has split and needs replacing, which might be a bit of a bugger as its black vinyl type stuff and probably uber-rare. No door pockets either.

The gear lever had 4+E on it but the E had been drawn on! IT had all the connecting lines between the gearnumbers though. Ive swapped it now with the spare one off my scrap GT.

The clutch is very heavy but there might not be alot I can do about that, Its already got a manually adjusting cable.

I need to change the radio! The one in is an analogue one with the coice of medium and long wave (no FM ) Steve_O I want my radio back! And them speakers if youve still got em (the 3)

Theres no cigarette lighter, not that I smoke or anything but it should have one.

Theres no centre console either, I wouldnt mind the extra storage space.

I hope that was worth reading! :wink:
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

it's owt but moan moan moan with you, honestly :D :D

idling at 200rpm isn't a fault, it's a feature. seriously, how many other people's cars are so eco friendly as to do such a thing? (or sound like a moody harley)

the lack of centre console makes steamy-windows situations a lot more plausible (more leg manoeuvrability), and the LW radio perfect for picking up obscure german radio phone-ins..