Air Filter Questions?

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
jay_muir
New

Air Filter Questions?

Post by jay_muir »

Hi,
Can you fit a K&N style cone/pancake air filter to the 1.3 engine and get rid of that stupid air box?
ste mk1lx
Silver Member

Post by ste mk1lx »

yes ,k&n do a pancake type (bolt on) filter for the 2e3 carb but you will also need a filter for the crankcase breather.try there web site it should be listed on there.
jay_muir
New

Post by jay_muir »

K kool, do you have any ideas where I can find the part numbers for them two? Do you reckon that'll be an expensive mod?
ste mk1lx
Silver Member

Post by ste mk1lx »

the part number for the air filter is 56-9159

information is available on www.knfilters.co.uk
jay_muir
New

Post by jay_muir »

What About the other one?

Cheers,
Jay
ZOMBIE
Bronze Member

Post by ZOMBIE »

Bit of advice mate, if its purely cosmetics you are going for, the bolt on looks well nice and tidy and you can get just standard breathers to go on the end of the pipe from the crank case.
However, performance wise I would clean up the existing airbox as it has an airflowmeter which makes the car run alot better [distribution of hot and cold air]. Just fit a k and n replacement filter and drill the back of the airbox with a 5mm drill bit- it will sound meaty too!
On my 1.3 I have a bolt on, i wont diny it looks the muts nuts- but it has given me loads of cold starting and automatic choke problems. I want to change back to the box, but because ive changed the manifold ive lost the heat shroud so the airflowmeter is pointless.
The decission is yours!?
metz

Post by metz »

And i have a k&n for the original airbox for sale too :-)
£15
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Metz, the 1043cc air filter is smaller than the 1.3 filter, I'm afraid it wouldn't fit...
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

GC, metz's car was a 1.0! but on later models the dustbin lid airboxes are the same regardless of engine size. Depending how new the car is will determine wether it fits or not. (it would fit on my C reg anyway but thats a 1.3)
jay_muir
New

Post by jay_muir »

Cheers! I'm gonna go with the K&N! Surely it makes some difference to the tone of the engine? makes it sound a bit more meaty at least?
ste mk1lx
Silver Member

Post by ste mk1lx »

the k&n makes no differance to the engine note (fit a sports exhaust if you want the car to sound meaty) but the choice is you'res.IMHO k&n bolt-ons are fine for summer use but in the cold months the carb ices up all the time and cause allsorts of running problems.
optima21
Sponsor

Post by optima21 »

jay_muir wrote:Cheers! I'm gonna go with the K&N! Surely it makes some difference to the tone of the engine? makes it sound a bit more meaty at least?
yeah and in winter as it coughs and splutters as carb icing happens (well it might not but it might too)
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Gareth, that's my point - Metz had a 1.0, jay_muir has a 1.3. The air boxes changed when they changed the carburettors and moved to hydraulic heads, ie 1986.
K&N filters will change the sound of the engine.. not really the tone of it, but they'll roar slightly louder and you'll get more of a suck as you put your foot down. But yeah, new exhaust is the way to go if you want a really big sound..
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

GroovyCarrot wrote:Gareth, that's my point - Metz had a 1.0, jay_muir has a 1.3. The air boxes changed when they changed the carburettors and moved to hydraulic heads, ie 1986.
K&N filters will change the sound of the engine.. not really the tone of it, but they'll roar slightly louder and you'll get more of a suck as you put your foot down. But yeah, new exhaust is the way to go if you want a really big sound..
Itll definatley fit then, like i said on mk3s the airboxes are identical on 1.0 and 1.3s. This is also true on late mk2s. I know the one in your sig is a small one but from about 1987 they all look like this:

And the airbox in my sig is one I salvaged off my first mk2 as it was less rusty than the one that came with my car. And the one on my C reg is exactly the same.
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Hrm, ok then, I stand corrected ;) I was only aware of the change of airbox in 1986 and the difference between 1.0 and 1.3 polos in the late 80's, I assumed it continued after then but obviously not..