Bee Sting Aerial...

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
ciden
Bronze Member

Bee Sting Aerial...

Post by ciden »

How easy is it to remove the bee sting aerial? Are there screws involved or does is simply 'turn' off? The reason why I'm asking is, I was browsing the website of the new sedan, and noticed a very interesting aerial fitted to it. It's like a combo between a fin and bee sting aerial. I don't know if it's the one fitted to cars that has the SAT/NAV option, anyways I'm including a pic.

(Sorry about the small size)
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

Yeah, I think it's part of the SAT NAV.
In my experience you usually have to get at these things from underneath :roll:

Although I may be wrong.

There are some better pictures of it somewhere, I'll try to find...

But on a brighter note, I have now de-locked my car :D

James.
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

Yeah, that ariel is Sat Nav only.

The ariel itself is actually bolted underneath the headling and its very hard to remove it without causing some sort of creasing/damage and apparently you never get the factory finish back :(

Much better than the bee-sting ariel is the new Shark-fin one now standard on the Touran. I might buy one in the future but I don't know whether to risk the headlining :?
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

removing an aierial is easy and ive done it on my polo a few times
all you need to do is drop the headlining enough to get your hand behind it which can usually be done by unclipping the side trims suporting it and then i might just flop down and then you can usually see the base which should have a cable going to it which you should remoce if there are aparebnt fixings and then usually a 10mm or 13mm nut to remove and pull it off
as for the creaces they can be caused by forcing the headlining (can be cured by cheating a humid atmosphere in the car with a kettle and then pulling against the crease) or if your tlking about in the metal then its due to over tightening and/or using the wrong washers
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

Damn! Ignore me :)

I now know why the headlining creased on the car I was looking at. Perhaps because it was a Bora (and hence not a hatchback)

Ignore me :oops:
ciden
Bronze Member

Post by ciden »

Uhmmm ok...u lot scared me now - I'll be keeping my bee string aerial :lol: I couldn't handle damaging my baby!

Jacob
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

Don't worry about replacing the aerial, I needed a new aerial that supported my DAB stereo, the replacement aerial is a bosch one, has a slightly wider base similar to the original and has a painted black finish.

I have had no problems with the headlining, everything clips back into position - no rattles.

Des