Santa pod and custom code!!

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

My bad if it doesn't have a MAF - I assumed it did.

I'm hardly bulls*itting, possou. I made a mistake.
poussou
Bronze Member

Post by poussou »

toXXin wrote:My bad if it doesn't have a MAF - I assumed it did.

I'm hardly bulls*itting, possou. I made a mistake.
I wasn't refering to you but to the "custom code guy"...
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Hi everyone

I have spoken to James about this and he has told the story from his side.

For a start, my Nitroused Polo GTi only did the 1/4 in 16.4 seconds.

When it was bog standard, I did a 17.6s run with a decent start.

James told me that he said that you could have a MAP or Temp sensor problem, not a MAF, as the Polo's don't run a MAF... I think he should know that seeing as he runs one of the biggest VAG Tuning companies in the country, and he knew my car inside out.

James also explained how you told him that you were complaining that it wouldn't rev past 6.5k... James apparently replied to you "what kind of loads, speeds, gears?" to which you replied "in neutral"... ! At which point he lsays he lost all interest.

Another thing you haven't mentioned is that James apparently offered to give you a full refund, less £40 for a rolling road run, which would prove it's doing what it's meant to be doing... I think you may have voided that offer now that you've posted in this manner though.

What I suggest is that before making comments like this on an open forum, you first get your car looked at by someone who knows what they're on about to see if there are any problems...

Sorry for the rant, but I don't like seeing posts like this regarding a respected company who also support our forum.

I have been running custom code on my Fabia for months and it's absolutely wonderful!

PS, my Polo had loads of performance related problems through it's time with me, that turned out to be a combination of Spark Plugs and a dodgy Temp Sensor. None of which presented any fault codes.

Also, you have a GENERIC REMAP by a company called "Custom Code"... It is their Phase One product, which is not custom... Only Phases Two and Three are true Custom Codes. The ECU in your car is not flashable via the OBD-II port, chipping or piggybacking (or having a whole aftermarket ECU) are the only options.

There, I've had my say now...

Try to listen to people like me and Possou (sp?) who have actually tuned these engines before! (me Nitrous, Poussou - Everything else lol!). We've been there before!!
Last edited by Josh_PoloGTi on Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Del_GTi
Gold Member

Post by Del_GTi »

It all seemed a bit too good to be true with the 'custom re-map'.

It started off with 'up to' 20bhp gain from a re-map, then it was 'up to' 12bhp from a chip. Then saw i guy on clublupo who only got 8bhp.

Fair enough 8bhp is 8bhp but it's a lot of money and the chip didn't seem to improve drivability.

I'm sure there was someone else with who got a custom map and it with a Dastek Unichip. Now i don't think there was much of a bhp gain but torque went u a fair bit and it revved smoother throughout the rev range and had a lot less noticeable flat spots.

Two of my mates had Dasteks on 106 GTi's and they liked them a lot, and got decent gains. I say had, as one sold his pug and the other is now running stand-alone management, as his car is just too wild now.
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

I forgot to add:

Custom Code have done 3 1.6 16v's and 2 1.4 16v's now...

Both 1.4 16v's got 8bhp increases... One of them was on an 04 plate Ibiza and the driver was well happy with it, plus it was an OBD-II reflash, as it's a late ECU.

One of the GTi owners apparently called James the day after having it done, singing it's praises... So it can't be all bad! :D
mikegti
Silver Member

Post by mikegti »

Josh_PoloGTi wrote:I forgot to add:

So thats 3 polo gti's then?

Would the custom code give the same hp increase for a standard car as for one that's had a filter and exhaust?
Del_GTi
Gold Member

Post by Del_GTi »

I think at least one of them was a Lupo GTi.
poussou
Bronze Member

Post by poussou »

Josh_PoloGTi wrote:Hi everyone

I have spoken to James about this and he has told the story from his side.

For a start, my Nitroused Polo GTi only did the 1/4 in 16.4 seconds.

When it was bog standard, I did a 17.6s run with a decent start.

James told me that he said that you could have a MAP or Temp sensor problem, not a MAF, as the Polo's don't run a MAF... I think he should know that seeing as he runs one of the biggest VAG Tuning companies in the country, and he knew my car inside out.

James also explained how you told him that you were complaining that it wouldn't rev past 6.5k... James apparently replied to you "what kind of loads, speeds, gears?" to which you replied "in neutral"... ! At which point he lsays he lost all interest.

Another thing you haven't mentioned is that James apparently offered to give you a full refund, less £40 for a rolling road run, which would prove it's doing what it's meant to be doing... I think you may have voided that offer now that you've posted in this manner though.

What I suggest is that before making comments like this on an open forum, you first get your car looked at by someone who knows what they're on about to see if there are any problems...

Sorry for the rant, but I don't like seeing posts like this regarding a respected company who also support our forum.

I have been running custom code on my Fabia for months and it's absolutely wonderful!

PS, my Polo had loads of performance related problems through it's time with me, that turned out to be a combination of Spark Plugs and a dodgy Temp Sensor. None of which presented any fault codes.

Also, you have a GENERIC REMAP by a company called "Custom Code"... It is their Phase One product, which is not custom... Only Phases Two and Three are true Custom Codes. The ECU in your car is not flashable via the OBD-II port, chipping or piggybacking (or having a whole aftermarket ECU) are the only options.

There, I've had my say now...

Try to listen to people like me and Possou (sp?) who have actually tuned these engines before! (me Nitrous, Poussou - Everything else lol!). We've been there before!!
Well said Josh...

It seems some people expect too much with too little money...

If it was that simple to get 20 BHP out of an engine, it would have been made by the manufacturer already.

I'd say 8 BHP isn't bad...but i've seen 13 advertised also.Probably more of a custom remap i guess....
Josh_PoloGTi wrote: Possou (sp?)
Ehh??? :roll: :roll:
Last edited by poussou on Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Del... Not sure mate...

On N/A cars, whatever you do, unless you spend stupid money, you're not going to get huge power increases... You need to bear that in mind.

Nitrous, Supercharger or Turbo's will get you big HP increases.

Cams will make it quite a lot quicker.

Exhaust and Filter will help at top end and will make it sound nice.

A remap/chip will make it drive smoother.

-------

Sorry Poussou, I couldn't remember how to spell your name while I was writing that piece :oops: The "(sp?)" means (spelling?).
poussou
Bronze Member

Post by poussou »

mikegti wrote:
Josh_PoloGTi wrote:I forgot to add:

So thats 3 polo gti's then?

Would the custom code give the same hp increase for a standard car as for one that's had a filter and exhaust?
Actually....NO..

Thats cause a remap is based on the principle that more ignition advance and more fuel is given throughout the rev range (or in specific regions in custom remap),which is wat brigns the extra HP.If you keep the incoming air "blocked" by using a factory filter, and the exhaust plugged up by using stock stuff, then there is no use for the extra fuel, and you are runing the risk of geting preignition from the increased advance.

So as i said, No its not the same.

P.S.Having said that, the increase in incoming air and exhaust is fairly minimal even with those mods.The true "tuning" comes with aftermarket cams and P&P.But thats gonna cost you...And NOONE can guarantee the results.....
Last edited by poussou on Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikegti
Silver Member

Post by mikegti »

I think there was ICEYPOLO, moynas and myself got it done.

I was just wondering if any more had been on the dyno?

Now I've just fitted my BMC so it should help a little :D

edit: cross post!
poussou - I understand what you mean. Does that assume that the engine is set up for running at maximum power, i.e. VW haven't 'de-tuned' it a little for economy or emissions? when I took of the standard air inlet this weekend I noticed it was TINY compared to the 70mm diameter hose I've put on for the bmc!
jezmk4
Silver Member

Post by jezmk4 »

so why is a now 137bhp gti slower than a 100 bhp 16v mk4?
poussou
Bronze Member

Post by poussou »

mikegti wrote: edit: cross post!
poussou - I understand what you mean. Does that assume that the engine is set up for running at maximum power, i.e. VW haven't 'de-tuned' it a little for economy or emissions? when I took of the standard air inlet this weekend I noticed it was TINY compared to the 70mm diameter hose I've put on for the bmc!
Well actually, in the so called "1st stage tuning" the changes in the engine are rather superficial and the power gains are just those "hidden" in the engine by the restrictions put in by the factory to make the car comply to the emissions specs.So basically by removing the airbox with BMC and chipping hte car, you are telling it that it can work at its full potential.As you can understand the power gains is propotional to the "restricitons".

Another thing worth considerinng is the fact that most chipping jobs actually change the ignition advance, to make the car work on the best gas available (optimax for example), and thus releasing its full streangth.Just keep in mind te Gti was made from the factory to use just the best gasoline (98 RON spec).So chipping is bound not to give you that much....

On the other hand, a 2nd stage tuning (cams etc) can be quite profitable...(horsepowerwise)
jezmk4
Silver Member

Post by jezmk4 »

can anyone put up a plot of their Gti from rollers?

would be interesting to study

one before and one after chip would be superb
PhilGTi
Platinum Member

Post by PhilGTi »

jezmk4 wrote:so why is a now 137bhp gti slower than a 100 bhp 16v mk4?
Ive heard you say that your car has 115bhp numerous times? Are you refering to another car here?

Phill.