bigger injectors?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
poussou
Bronze Member

Post by poussou »

forbezGti wrote:hey, i got the low down from bill, at badger. i was shocked at the price. the price he gave was about £2000-£2500 for parts and that was without fitted i think and defo without the remap. not going to go for the trottle bodys, going on hols with the bird so that drains the pennys away. but on the look out for a 1.8 20vt out of a right off, so ill see what happens. :?
I was under the impression a TB conversion wasn't possible on the Polo Gti and the AVY/ARC engines.....

Can you prove me wrong ??? :roll: :roll:
Tigz
Gold Member

Post by Tigz »

Who told you it wasn't possable buddy?
Theres nothing to it.
Its still just fuel/air/spark.

You need to custom build an ignition system, but this isnt difficult.
the rest is pretty straight forward.

forbez £2000-£2500 sounds about right.
But it can be done alot cheaper.

If you dont use a inlet manifold, and get a spacer plate made up, you can save a couple of hundred quid.
Mines costing about £50 for the Alu to be drilled and ported.

If you can get the extra parts made up elsewhere, I think £1500 tops for all the parts you'll need.
Ive spent £700 so far, still got a few sensors to buy, a trigger wheel to be machined, throttle linkages to buy, and a new ECU.

But I should still be under a grand when done.

And thats useing Jenvey Throttle boddies off Bill.
cuprabaz
Getting There!

Post by cuprabaz »

20vt would be ur best bet totty, 200bhp from a chip alone!!

Look a bill's/Jan's LUPO - pocket rocket!!!
Tigz
Gold Member

Post by Tigz »

cuprabaz wrote:20vt would be ur best bet totty, 200bhp from a chip alone!!

Look a bill's/Jan's LUPO - pocket rocket!!!
Aye.
But your spending £3.5k - £7k for a 1.8T.
200bhp without LSD is usless anyway.
And if its a choice between N/A or Turbo?
TBs every day of the week for me :D
forbezGti
Bronze Member

Post by forbezGti »

if i can find an engine for a good price then ill go for it, have to save the pennys. 200bhp is not that bad without a LSD, cuprabaz has got 230bhp without a LSD and he gets away from the line well, maybe due to the 17's. think on standard polo wheels i would be spinning like f*ck.
cuprabaz
Getting There!

Post by cuprabaz »

[quote="Tigz]
Aye.
But your spending £3.5k - £7k for a 1.8T.
200bhp without LSD is usless anyway.
And if its a choice between N/A or Turbo?
TBs every day of the week for me :D[/quote]

3.5k - 7k!! You can get a high mileage golf 1.8t golf for pennies these days, 90k miles ibiza cupra 4k in auto trader the other day. You'll pick a write off for way less than that!

I wouldn't exactly say 200bhp is useless without an LSD due to the fact a chipped ibiza cupra does the 1/4 mile nearly 2 whole seconds quicker than a std one running 156bhp beating CTR's, UK Scoobs etc.

I'll have to disagree with you there dude, once you drive a turbo'd car there's no going back.

p.s. Fancy a wee race to see how useless 230bhp is without an LSD???
Tigz
Gold Member

Post by Tigz »

cuprabaz wrote: p.s. Fancy a wee race to see how useless 230bhp is without an LSD???
:D Aye, but you may have a slight wait, :wink: engines not built yet!

Its all well and good blasting up a straightline drag track.
But how many times do you spend on straight roads?

I didnt make my point clear.
Without loseing a point shot FWD drive, over 200hp is useless without LSD.

What race we speaking of here, Sprint, or track?
Sprint you'd kick my lardy arse.
On the track?
Im not too sure. Although my Grandad always told me "Dont you go messing with them cupra Rs" :wink:

But on the subject of the engine build, £3-£7k isnt the cost of the engine :shock:

But when you include the cost of everything needed to fit, your looking at around £3k (Includeing the engine) to fit it yourself.
Or up to £7k for a drive in drive out service.
What part of that do you disagree with?

My main point is this.
If you can get the same sort of usable power from your stock engine, why replace it?
Tigz
Gold Member

Post by Tigz »

cuprabaz
Getting There!

Post by cuprabaz »

I thought you were talking about the engine.

Your stealing Clarkson's lines now mate. 200bhp fwd being useless. lol
I was talking 1/4 mile, but track would be closer.
Should have 250bhp+ and an LSD by November but you'll have to come up to knockhill or i'll get the girlfriend to drive down cause i'm more than likely going to get banned on Sept 2nd :cry: :cry:

My disagreement is TURBO's are more fun! Turbo over N/A for me. That's all! :wink:

I picked a car with an easily tuned engine and i love it.

Forbez, have you phone Jim at Star about remapping your car after you fit that maniold?
moynas
Silver Member

Post by moynas »

Yeah you gotta love a turbo! But come on changing a 1.6 gti lump for a 1.8 20v T people do it all the time in lupos, mk1,2,3 golfs you name it, its been done! no matter what upgrades!

Dont mess about with that drop a R32 lump in! BE DIFFERENT! Or supercharge the 1.6!

Ok im not one to talk cos i cant be arsed to change the power in my engine (well not all true) cos i'd rather spunk it on a scooby or an evo!
Now thats proper power! My mates 450 bhp scooby ROCKS so does his mates 640bhp supra! now thats worth thousands to do!

Hey if you 1/4 on 15" wheels and your opponant has 17" you'll have much greater accelaration! small wheels rotate quicker and should have if not more traction to lay down!

Bit of a Rant sorry people! no offence to anyone!
Tigz
Gold Member

Post by Tigz »

moynas wrote:But come on changing a 1.6 gti lump for a 1.8 20v T people do it all the time in lupos
I dont know of anyone replacing a 1600 GTi engine with a 1.8T to be honest.
Most start with a 1.0 or 75hp Lupo.
It just seems a little silly replacing a perfectly capable engine with a 1.8T.
Fare enough you can get more power ith a remap, but it costs you a lot to get to that stage!
You can always drive to Germany and have a Turbo kit fitted for about £7000 drive in drive out, but again, its a lot of money.

cuprabaz Im a big Turbo fan also, but if it was down to 180bhp on throttle boddies with stock engine for £3k, or replaceing for a 1.8T for £7k I know which Id choose.
Unless I had the cash for LSD, and duel ECU (track/road) of course ;)

Plus, Im sure you'd admit which sounds better :D
cuprabaz
Getting There!

Post by cuprabaz »

Star perfomance do switchable dual maps, revo have the sps switches, jabba have the boost controllers. My chip when i had on the stock turbo(ko3) was an APR with two progs chipped and standard which i could swap via my cruise control any time even while driving, pretty cool i thought!!

I see your point tho. :wink: But i think personally i'd wait and save for the 1.8t etc.
poussou
Bronze Member

Post by poussou »

Tigz wrote:
moynas wrote:But come on changing a 1.6 gti lump for a 1.8 20v T people do it all the time in lupos
I dont know of anyone replacing a 1600 GTi engine with a 1.8T to be honest.
Most start with a 1.0 or 75hp Lupo.
It just seems a little silly replacing a perfectly capable engine with a 1.8T.
Fare enough you can get more power ith a remap, but it costs you a lot to get to that stage!
You can always drive to Germany and have a Turbo kit fitted for about £7000 drive in drive out, but again, its a lot of money.

cuprabaz Im a big Turbo fan also, but if it was down to 180bhp on throttle boddies with stock engine for £3k, or replaceing for a 1.8T for £7k I know which Id choose.
Unless I had the cash for LSD, and duel ECU (track/road) of course ;)

Plus, Im sure you'd admit which sounds better :D

I don't want to get into the details, but as i've already told you YOU CANT HAVE TB'S ON THIS ENGINE.

The reason is that it is not accepted by the ECU causing an EPC error.

But then again...You may use aftermarket ECU, change the e-gas to cable, etc etc.....but then....you ll be having a TOTALLY DIFFERENT CAR AND NOT A GTI....

Think about that....
Red Lup Gti
New

Post by Red Lup Gti »

Anything is possibe poussou, just a matter of money :wink:
cuprabaz
Getting There!

Post by cuprabaz »

[quote="poussou]
I don't want to get into the details, but as i've already told you YOU CANT HAVE TB'S ON THIS ENGINE.

The reason is that it is not accepted by the ECU causing an EPC error.

But then again...You may use aftermarket ECU, change the e-gas to cable, etc etc.....but then....you ll be having a TOTALLY DIFFERENT CAR AND NOT A GTI....

Think about that....[/quote]

Totally different car??? Is the Gti going to transform itself into a corsa if you swap the ecu, fit TB's, manifold etc. Some how i don't think so. :roll: It will go like sh*t off a shovel on TB's. I've spoken to Bill @ BADGER5 and he say's it is possible to TB the gti with the right mods. Parts will cost in the region of £2500 + fitting + mapping!