Wheel Refurbishing

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

moynas wrote:Fat wheels in kent is an awesome place there doing my schmidt at the mo!!

Diamond cut lips with anthercite centres! £45+vat each rim which aint bad!
Very very good price.......
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

When I get them done, I'll be after having the lip Polished and the centre powder coated silver
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Moynas, how did you get them there, send them or did you go down there? Also, what kind of time does it take, any idea?

Cheers.
moynas
Silver Member

Post by moynas »

I took them to there work shop, they showed me some of the wheels they have done and well they really are awesome!! They do courior service but dont know how much!!

Takes about a week ill post pics when i have them back!
dubpolo
Sponsor

Post by dubpolo »

neilw wrote:What about multistory car park ramps? can you still get up those? 6 weeks until I can get some coilovers on :)
yea fine! you don't seem to get problems because the polo is short
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Yeah quality, I had a look at there site, they look pretty good, I'll deffo keep them in mind for when I get them done. VW done one for me but they sprayed the rim instead of doing it the same as the others. Thanks guys I know have 3 matching wheels and 1 odd wheel :roll:
mkone
Bronze Member

Post by mkone »

Just a quick one, with winter on the way is it advisable to refurb them now? Thought about doing it myself but changed my mind till Spring.
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

With the winter coming, you will run the risk of damage thru salt on the roads and generally poorer weather conditions - I'm sure they would be OK if either (a) you cleaned then at least once a week to remove the grime, or (b) you took the route advised by bstardchild, something to do with "painting" your alloys liberally with vaseline or similar non-acidic grease:
bstardchild wrote:I'd slap a load of grease on them and not wash them if I was using them in the winter and didn't have winter wheels
Sound advice if you don't mind your alloys looking awful due to the build up of road grime and dirt! Underneath though, they'll be well protected.

Personally though, I'm waiting until the Spring of 2006 before I send mine away for refurbishing, and am planning to buy some Golf G60 steel wheels as future winter wheels, when a set comes up on eBay that isn't too far away and is a reasonable cost!

Cheers
Blackie
New

Post by Blackie »

bstardchild wrote:
Blackie wrote:i dunno how you guys refurb them but i thought id just add that sand blasting them will weaken the structure of your wheels
I could say rubbish but I'll let the post do the talking and i guess myself and dubpolo's wheels will be falling apart some time soon

oh in the year 2100 maybe!!!

http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... 24&start=0
im not saying they gonna fall to pieces but if you guys dont believe me then thats your problem just thought i would give some input but seeing as you guys just take the p*** ill keep my knowledge to myself.
dubpolo
Sponsor

Post by dubpolo »

go on give us your knowlage... because i know nothing! :wink:
Blackie
New

Post by Blackie »

no need to be wide. either you dont know what your on about or my college tutor is just blowing smoke up my ass, either way I dont really care.
dubpolo
Sponsor

Post by dubpolo »

Blackie wrote:no need to be wide. either you dont know what your on about or my college tutor is just blowing smoke up my ass, either way I dont really care.
i'ed say your college tutor is talking crap! what does he teach you?
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

Blackie wrote:no need to be wide. either you dont know what your on about or my college tutor is just blowing smoke up my ass, either way I dont really care.
I think - and I'm speculating here - that without care and done to excess you could damage alloy by sand blasting it........

Stick an alloy in a sand blast cabinet and keep blasting it when you have already achieved the desired process of removing the coating you'll end up with just dust......... so corect you can damage the metal!

Question

- If you have toothache who do you go and see - a Dentist

- If you break your arm who do you see - a Doctor

- If you want to sand blast your wheels - you spend 750 on a blast cabinet and do it yourself with no experience - no - you go and see someone who does it for a living and knows what they are doing and they charge you a few quid to do it properly

just blowing smoke :roll: :wink: