Clutch :(

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
KennyPOLO_Gti
Platinum Member

Post by KennyPOLO_Gti »

So ma gear box is gonnas go soon! Cheers guys :evil:
panda
Silver Member

Post by panda »

man its just the clutch release bearing, don't worry about it.
Ray_chan
Getting There!

Post by Ray_chan »

RUM4MO wrote:
Ray_chan wrote:the torque will go through the flywheel anyways not gearbox.
Is someone dreaming here! As Wouter has implied, a gearbox is only made to withstand the engine loadings that it would see in normal service, but there again what an interesting concept - so you could transmit 300HP and huge lumps of torque through a Polo gearbox and it would be okay? Try finding out a little bit about engineering in general Ray_chan.
obovious then u would have to strengthen the gearbox then if u had that much hp, no standerd polo gearbox would handle it duh... but there a certain amount of hp the standerd gear box can handle. a simple remap wouldnt do any harm to the gearbox anyways.
daa709
Silver Member

Post by daa709 »

I'm getting something weird with my clutch now...

It's a crick or crunch as I depress the pedal. It comes even when the engine is off or on, and its only really heard from outside. Is that just me..?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Ray_chan wrote:
RUM4MO wrote:
Ray_chan wrote:the torque will go through the flywheel anyways not gearbox.
Is someone dreaming here! As Wouter has implied, a gearbox is only made to withstand the engine loadings that it would see in normal service, but there again what an interesting concept - so you could transmit 300HP and huge lumps of torque through a Polo gearbox and it would be okay? Try finding out a little bit about engineering in general Ray_chan.
obovious then u would have to strengthen the gearbox then if u had that much hp, no standerd polo gearbox would handle it duh... but there a certain amount of hp the standerd gear box can handle. a simple remap wouldnt do any harm to the gearbox anyways.
The point I was trying to make was that "a simple remap", especially on a turbo charged engine is intended to raise the power as well as the way its delivered - otherwise would anyone really send a lot of money just to "smooth things out" - I don't think so! While a generic type of engine might end up being built with quite a bit of "headroom" wrt to what power and torque increases it can safely handle, this will normally just be a lucky spin-off from the manufacturer mass producing engines with different power and torque characteristics. The gearbox, unfortunately will be chosen to suit the individual models intended power, torque and the cars weight, it will be built down to a cost - I think that VAG are at the forefront of marques living on their "past good name" and so us poor mugs will pay the price of these cars, especially the Skoda Fabia being second rate - yes the Seat Ibiza and the Volkswagen Polo are pure Skoda Fabia bits where it really counts - the running gear (but not engine and gearbox). Hold onto your wallet, you will need it a lot!