Polo's vs 106

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

Dee-vub wrote:maybe it is just an abnormal 1.0litre :P Get it RR'd ;)
RR'd? :? sorry I'm a newbie, words can be so confusing :oops:
s-l-i-x
Bronze Member

Post by s-l-i-x »

polo-sib wrote:
Dee-vub wrote:maybe it is just an abnormal 1.0litre :P Get it RR'd ;)
RR'd? :? sorry I'm a newbie, words can be so confusing :oops:
Rolling Road :D
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

s-l-i-x wrote: Rolling Road :D
:oops: haha feel embarrassed, might have to get it on one of them see what it produces.
Dee-vub
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Dee-vub »

Yeh just do it for the fun of it :D

Iv never actually been on a rolling road either, but will be going on as soon as the VR6 is supercharged in june :D :D :D
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

Dee-vub wrote:Iv never actually been on a rolling road either, but will be going on as soon as the VR6 is supercharged in june :D :D :D
nice, theres a s/c vr6 corrado storm on my local forum, and it sounds like a bloody jet when its going some :lol:
last time it was rolling roaded, it got 301bhp and it was misfiring :shock: , hes had a lot of other stuff done to it aswell, but its an awesome car!
shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

lovely mk4 mate!..

my gf has the little quiky 1.4 8v which is fairly nippy, it weighs as much as a tin can & is so much fun to drive, the cornering in the things is amazing lol! but when competing over 1.0 & 1.1's theres no point, judging by your lovely dishes i'd be going slow & low anyway!

before i got my mk5 gti i almost got a 106 gti, both lovely cars and they are definately faster than 6n2 gti's by a fair bit but u dont buy a mk5 gti for that...its a serious looker, well built & has soo many goodies (man i miss her)..

When i had my gti i had alot of plays with a mate in his saxo vts (exactly the same as the 106 apart from uglier & cheaper)..anyways he was clearly faster because of the weight issues...so either your car is remapped or stripped + mods deevub or your mate cant drive...the 106 has a very similar engine spec & output but weighs 925kg's (dont quote on exact weight...but a damn sight lighter than a polo which weighs around 1090kg's)
Dee-vub

Post by Dee-vub »

I would honestly say that 106 GTI's arent overly quick. Even another mates tweaked one sitting at about 140-150bhp didnt feel as quick as i thought it would.

Yeh i agree it can come down to driver error, but once your up and running you can hardly take driver error into account....like i said, i was always getting a better start, which was most likely his driving error, but once we were up to a decent speed it was pretty even, me not gaining on him, him not gaining on me! If we both got identical starts i would have thought his would be nipping in front of me.

And nope my car isnt stripped or remapped, just a straight through system with BMC. My engine took really kindly to mods...some react differently! but i got really healthy and noticeable gains......i did keep up with a G40 for instance :P

Oh and the VTS is quicker than the 106 GTI. Lighter if i recall!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

I've raced a 106 GTi...... and lost :(

I got a way better start to him, took a corner and thought it was over so changed to third to quickly, big mistake!
shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

ahh fair, i did do a few standing starts with my mates vts and interestingly i almost always pulled away but as soon as we were rolling the vts seemed to pull alot better :(

tim - strip the back out then you should be able to beat the little bastards !

lol anyways the major difference between the 106 & polo gti in my eyes is the build quality, interior looks & extras....all relating to weight
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

shantybeater wrote: tim - strip the back out then you should be able to beat the little bastards !
it's not really justifiable on a 5-door! lol.

Yeh build quality and looks is definitely where the polo shows it's colours
LeMeph
Platinum Member

Post by LeMeph »

Dont know much about 106 GTI's but those little zests' shouldnt be knocked,. If theyre the same engine that was in my little 205 (which i think they are TU setries engines) then they aint too shabby for what they are. Mine had a straight through pipe and a couple of GTI cosmetic parts and that thing flew through the mighty four gears it had lol.
Dee-vub

Post by Dee-vub »

DanDiesel wrote:
Dee-vub wrote:Iv never actually been on a rolling road either, but will be going on as soon as the VR6 is supercharged in june :D :D :D
nice, theres a s/c vr6 corrado storm on my local forum, and it sounds like a bloody jet when its going some :lol:
last time it was rolling roaded, it got 301bhp and it was misfiring :shock: , hes had a lot of other stuff done to it aswell, but its an awesome car!
Bloody hell! 301 AND misfiring! I'm hoping to run roughly 300bhp on a 9psi pulley! whether i get that we'll see!

The previous owner at 284 with belt slip and head gasket problem so should be pushing the 300 mark! :D
Mouse_GTI

Post by Mouse_GTI »

I was tempted by a 106 GTI, the Polo just one me over. Yes the 106 has the edge a little on speed & handling, but the Polo is still quick for what it is and handles well, plus it doesn't have the general setbacks of the Pug (i.e. cheap, small interior, inferior looks, no climate, no xenons, doesn't hold its value aswell, more common)
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Mouse_GTI wrote:I was tempted by a 106 GTI, the Polo just one me over. Yes the 106 has the edge a little on speed & handling, but the Polo is still quick for what it is and handles well, plus it doesn't have the general setbacks of the Pug (i.e. cheap, small interior, inferior looks, no climate, no xenons, doesn't hold its value aswell, more common)
Exactly my argument