lowering will f*uck up my car :s

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

daz1245 wrote:ive lowered mine 40mm n ive been over bumps at 30-40 mph n i never scrapy me car

daz
If I done that, I'd bottom the car out majorly, I take them at about 10mph if that :lol:

And Joe, tell your insurance company about it, they'd have heard the "I thought it came like that" excuse 1000's of times, if it was that easy no-one would declare anything :D

I could say it about my bumpers.
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

i didnt tell my insurance company about the lowering, there again it is only 30mm anyway so not much. i told them about the badgeless grill and they said thats no extra cost, the alloys and exhaust and rear lights affected my insurance tho but not by much. if u put alloys on and tell them tell them they were cheap e'g' £100 or £200 or £300 cause then it dont put it up by much, i think its up to £500 its one amount then over that is another if u get me. the exhaust depends if its a sports tuned etc, he asked me if mine gives the car any more power, i told him not that i know of, well being a 1 litre how much more speed can u get out of it? so it kept the cost of the exhaust down. i think for my alloys lights exhaust and badgeless grill i pay about an extra £60 or £70 a year for insurance. im with tesco.
but i think if u do to much to your car when your with them they wont insure it.
The_phat_controlleruk
Silver Member

Post by The_phat_controlleruk »

If i buy a set of polo 40mm lowering springs, get my reputable garage guy to fit them, get the tracking and camber done, all should be good?

IMO, 40mm will not make much of a difference visually, it may harden the ride up a bit but not by much. I did this with mine first and regretted it, was a complete waste of money. Go for a springs and shocks kit or better still, coilies. Go for 60mm+, that way you can see and feel the difference. Jackson tuning (PhilJ) on clubpolo does some stonking deals (got mine from him) on springs/shocks and coilies.
LeMeph
Platinum Member

Post by LeMeph »

See now id disagree with you there sir. I got mine down 40mm on springs and i really like it. Its far from decked but gives the car a more sporty appeal, but not an obviously modified one. I quite like it. If your like me and you dont have fancy alloys then id say 40mm is fine!

If youve got proper bo alloys though and you only drop it 40mm then tis a bit odd looking in my opinion.
MaxZ
Platinum Member

Post by MaxZ »

get air ride.. can drop it like 200 on 12 inch rims :)
LeMeph
Platinum Member

Post by LeMeph »

You know what? f**k it just take the wheels off. Now thats low. lol
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Re: lowering will f*uck up my car :s

Post by david burton »

JoeG07 wrote:well was chatting to this guy earlier thats one of those people that just 'seems to know everything' about cars, and he said lowering is a total hastle not worth doing. He said the steering and brakes would be affected, id need to get the wheels retracked, the wheels would bend inwards, id be looking at changing my tyres every few weeks, and if i ever had a full car it would scrape over every bump. He also said properly lowering the car would cost in excess of £1000. Is there any truth in this? Can i lower my car, problem free, with £60 springs?
1) steering geometry could be affected, but he didn't say how because he doesn't know
2) brakes?! mwahahahahaha! WTF!
3) retracked - yes, and camber needs changing if it can be adjusted but it's not essential
4) tyre changes every few weeks? what on earth does he use for tyres, cheese?
5) you won't scrape, because lowering springs are STIFFER. I could actually fit more weight in my mk4 with the heaftier lowering springs
6) £1000 might be true if you changed the suspension for fully adjustable camber and 4 wheel alignment with coilovers. But I think he's just talking out of his bum hole.
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

david burton wrote:But I think he's just talking out of his bum hole
me too :D

although by the time all my lowering stuff had been completely i'd paid like £870! but this included:
1. buying the coilover kit.
2. getting it fitted by my very trustworthy Seat dealers.
3. having the top mounts changed at the same time by Seat.
4. paying the extra insurance (which also included my strut brace).
5. having a the tracking, camber and a 4 wheel alignment done.

tyres will wear unevenly if the tracking and camber are off but this is why u get them sorted as soon as you get the suspension lowered.
stevopolo
New

Post by stevopolo »

Ive just lowered my mk4, it looks awesome now.i had it dropped 120mm all round but it was not very convenient so i have raised it a little. I paid for the tracking and camber asjustment to be done after i lowered it, now i have raised it again i need to get the geometry set again, but i feel confident enough to do it myself.i was just wondering if anyone knows the camber and caster settings??? and also if there is any way of doing it with out the special tool? i think it needs to be set to 2.5 degrees negative camber. any help would be appreciated.
vw-po-low
Gold Member

Post by vw-po-low »

The way he explained it he sounded an ass. In retrospect it "Can" knackers your car. I'm not fussed who b***h at me about this. Your drive shafts will sit at incorrect angle causing strain, wheel bearings may where quicker and mounts and bushes ect. yeah we all get chamber and tracking done and i ran around for 8 months down 120mm and loved it!

I would never tel anyone not to lower there car. if anything its in my blood. i lower everything. ha as said the guy sounded a jackass!