Serious camber problem after fitting coilovers,pics included

Discuss Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres
joe2612
Gold Member

Serious camber problem after fitting coilovers,pics included

Post by joe2612 »

Hi All, i posted this post in the gti section but figured it's more relevant here.

Just spent the weekend fitting some coilovers to my Gti

, all went on okay Except the left front wheel has horrendous positive camber i.e the top of the wheel is much further inwards than the bottom. :(

Right wheel: all okay

Left wheel: a different story, see how it bends in at the top comapred to the right one

This causes the tire to rub against the spring. ive tried adjusting the ride height, i knew the camber would be out after fitting the coilies but surely not this far out?! and it's only on one wheel! The car is undrivable as a result.

If you guys can think of anything i could try or what i may have cocked up when putting them on then i'd be very grateful. :D
chrisjames
Silver Member

Re: Serious camber problem after fitting coilovers,pics included

Post by chrisjames »

Mate, its just the bottom of the strut and the two bolts that hold it on need to be adjusted.
No Biggie.

Put the height back to were you want it first and loosen the two bolts at the bottom of the strutt. Pull the hub out towards you. You will notice that the disk now looks more upright. Just pull it to its most upright position. Get someone to hold it there while you tighten. Dont loosen and tighten those bolts too often or they might strip.

It will see you until you get it aligned. I ran mine for months slightly out :D
TurboRix
New

Re: Serious camber problem after fitting coilovers,pics included

Post by TurboRix »

Or another option can be take your car to a local tracking place. They'll do it for you but you'll have to hand over about 3 used 20 notes.