1st oil change

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
rs2315
New

1st oil change

Post by rs2315 »

Year old, so I thought I'd give her some fresh oil.
Sump plug located at rear of sump 6mm hex.
Filter sat at end of your nose, after popping bonnet.(Big black nut moulded to top of domed housing)
Mine was hand tight so no need for any socket.
Before you undo and remove housing put a cloth on top of alternator which sits below filter. Stops oil running onto it.
Filter was a bit of a pull off housing, snug fit.(Take note of position of filter before removal, then when you fit new one you will no exactly how far down it sits) Remove rubber gaket at top of thread, and replace with new.
Put on new filter, once again snug fit, so a very firm even push down.
I cleaned up puddle of oil in housing, before replacing filter.
Add new oil not forgetting to replace sump plug before you do so. :wink:
1 to me, 0 to the dealer :D
rs2315.
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Re: 1st oil change

Post by whitegtipolo »

Good lad my gti has the old type metal oil filter on top of engine will make a right mess lol
rs2315
New

Post by rs2315 »

whitegtipolo wrote:Good lad my gti has the old type metal oil filter on top of engine will make a right mess lol
Yeah it's first time I've done a filter on top side of block. Location is very good, just a shame it's a bit of a fight with filter in it's housing :roll:

rs2315.
Grey_Polo
Bronze Member

Post by Grey_Polo »

rs2315 wrote:Year old, so I thought I'd give her some fresh oil.
rs2315.
Mine doesn't need new oil for 2 years or 30,000Km. 1 to me, 0 to you...
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

Filter sat at end of your nose, after popping bonnet.(Big black nut moulded to top of domed housing)
Before you undo and remove housing put a cloth on top of alternator which sits below filter. Stops oil running onto it.
Filter was a bit of a pull off housing, snug fit.(Take note of position of filter before removal, then when you fit new one you will no exactly how far down it sits) Remove rubber gaket at top of thread, and replace with new.
rs2315.

Just questioning why you are changing the oil? Are you on a long life service interval and doing a change mid way? I have servicing included so will get this done annually as I'm on a normal service plan.
rs2315
New

Post by rs2315 »

Edi30 wrote:
rs2315.

Just questioning why you are changing the oil? Are you on a long life service interval and doing a change mid way? I have servicing included so will get this done annually as I'm on a normal service plan.
Lots of stop start work, oils worked hard, no way would I leave oil in for two years.
Plan on doing at least 250,000 with her, so fresh oil is a must.
My RS2 does 3000 a year, she gets fresh silkolene after coming out of hibernation every time.
A motorsport mechanic once told me to extend engine life fresh oil is what's needed.
Reckon he was making sense.

rs2315.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

Thanks, thought you might not be a regular 10k miles per year like me. Yes if you could afford to change your oil every week the engine would last forever :D I used to service my own cars years ago and changed the oil every six months!

S2 yum! I am a fan of Audi quattros and used to have an UR quattro 20v about 10 years ago. I only did 5k miles a year but had a 20k service a year to keep it tip top at BR Motorsport.
rs2315
New

Post by rs2315 »

Edi30 wrote:Thanks, thought you might not be a regular 10k miles per year like me. Yes if you could afford to change your oil every week the engine would last forever :D I used to service my own cars years ago and changed the oil every six months!

S2 yum! I am a fan of Audi quattros and used to have an UR quattro 20v about 10 years ago. I only did 5k miles a year but had a 20k service a year to keep it tip top at BR Motorsport.
UR 20v,very nice.
Prices are on the up, freind of mine has had his 18 years. This winter he's respraying it, then it's up for sale.
He doesn't want to miss out on good prices.
If Audi looked after customers with older cars, then an UR would of been on my list, but so many parts are obsolete it becomes a real pain trying to source stuff.
Me thinks Audi likes the smell of money the new models bring, and to hell with the old classics. :x

Better stop now before I blow an obsolete fuse. :lol:

rs2315.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

Running costs and the lack of parts was the deciding factor for me to sell my UR plus that I was starting a family and there's not much room in the boot of an UR (20 gal fuel tank and spare wheel) for a pram or buggy. I was quite lucky as I had my UR for 3 years and sold it for a small profit. Mine was totally standard in Titan Grey and is my all time favourite car I have owned to date. Replaced it with an A4 2.8 quattro estate which was very nice but didnt have the same appeal as the UR.

What colour/vintage is your RS2 and is it modified at all?

Sorry to all for the change in subject.
rs2315
New

Post by rs2315 »

Edi30 wrote:Running costs and the lack of parts was the deciding factor for me to sell my UR plus that I was starting a family and there's not much room in the boot of an UR (20 gal fuel tank and spare wheel) for a pram or buggy. I was quite lucky as I had my UR for 3 years and sold it for a small profit. Mine was totally standard in Titan Grey and is my all time favourite car I have owned to date. Replaced it with an A4 2.8 quattro estate which was very nice but didnt have the same appeal as the UR.

What colour/vintage is your RS2 and is it modified at all?

Sorry to all for the change in subject.
Now isn't that funny Titan Grey is the colour my mates going for with his respray :)

Mines a 1994 LHD in RS blue, had to be that colour for me. Audi used this colour to launch the car back in 94.
Mapped from standard 315 to 360-380. RS2 H&R's springs, Bilstein sport dampers. Wanted to keep car looking standard, but felt car needed to be firmer.
To much roll in oe spec, heavy car!!
LHD isn't a problem, part of the reason I bought the car, just so different. Overtaking, just drop back a bit,lean head to the right, boot it and your round. :lol:
Had it 6 years, but when ever I use it still get the butterflies. :lol:

I've kept original kit just in case I was to ever sell, and could be returned to oe spec.
But as long as I can get parts I won't be parting with it.

Nice to chat Audis Edi30.
Better get back to polo's before the mod's get on my case.

rs2315.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

Wow your RS2 sounds great, blue is definitely the right colour and with around 380 it must be extremely quick and as you say not surprised it gives you butterflies. Perhaps you should change your name to rs2380 :lol:

Ref Titan Grey the very last UR off the production line in 91 was that colour and in the Audi museum. The best colour IMHO.

Back to Polo's now, honest :oops:
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by whitegtipolo »

Nice lol audi chat. I change oil every 10000 too long life servicing toooo long