Horn not working?? *RESOLVED*

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
vr6south
Silver Member

Re: Horn not working??

Post by vr6south »

S.Kayani wrote:yeah i can hear it clicking when i press the horn, how did u figure it out to be that??
A mate who is a VAG technician checked power supplies and no power was reaching the horns themselves. It's a real pain to get to the rear of the fuse panel too :(
S.Kayani
Bronze Member

Post by S.Kayani »

arghh, if i got someone to put a VAGCOM cable to the car you reckon you might be able to tell thru that?
dantheram
Gold Member

Post by dantheram »

S.Kayani wrote:yeah i can hear it clicking when i press the horn, how did u figure it out to be that??

i can too, it still sounds like a switch clicking when you press the wheel.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Thatll be either the contacts in the wheel, or the horn relay clicking. And no, vagcom will be of no help.
the_mini_mole
New

Post by the_mini_mole »

Mine has stopped working too! The fuse is OK, and the relay behind the fuse panel is firing, so I'm thinking it must be a dodgy connection at the horn end! Will be having the car up on the lift to have a look at the weekend and report back, hopefully its just a loose connection somewhere accessible though!
vr6south
Silver Member

Post by vr6south »

the_mini_mole wrote:Mine has stopped working too! The fuse is OK, and the relay behind the fuse panel is firing, so I'm thinking it must be a dodgy connection at the horn end! Will be having the car up on the lift to have a look at the weekend and report back, hopefully its just a loose connection somewhere accessible though!
Check that you are getting power to the horns. If you are then your horns are shot. If the relay is clicking there is a loose connection between the relay and the horns. This will probably be something to do with the fuse panel connections.
the_mini_mole
New

Post by the_mini_mole »

vr6south wrote:
the_mini_mole wrote:Mine has stopped working too! The fuse is OK, and the relay behind the fuse panel is firing, so I'm thinking it must be a dodgy connection at the horn end! Will be having the car up on the lift to have a look at the weekend and report back, hopefully its just a loose connection somewhere accessible though!
Check that you are getting power to the horns. If you are then your horns are shot. If the relay is clicking there is a loose connection between the relay and the horns. This will probably be something to do with the fuse panel connections.
If i remove the number 19 fuse (horn) then the relay doesn't fire when pressing the centre of the s/wheel down, with the fuse in it does, this to me says dodgy connection from relay --> horn, or fubared horn, although I'm more used to messing about with electrical nightmares on old cars (got to sort my Mini's wipers too this afternoon after they decided to pack up!)
dantheram
Gold Member

Post by dantheram »

Back of the net!

Mine works again now, replaced fuse 47 (see my other thread) which is the headlight washer fuse and suddenly i had the horn back!

Can anyone explain why fuse 47 effects the horn?
S.Kayani
Bronze Member

Post by S.Kayani »

dantheram wrote: Back of the net!

Mine works again now, replaced fuse 47 (see my other thread) which is the headlight washer fuse and suddenly i had the horn back!

Can anyone explain why fuse 47 effects the horn?

top man! just changed fuse 47 on mine and its also working again! thats why i love this forum! :D
the_mini_mole
New

Re: Horn not working?? *RESOLVED*

Post by the_mini_mole »

Will try this as I noticed that my headlight washers aren't working either! Will report back tomorrow!
dantheram
Gold Member

Post by dantheram »

i will bet my house thats its fuse 47
the_mini_mole
New

Post by the_mini_mole »

Yup, fuse had gone. Replaced and horn working again. Job done!
daz16v
Bronze Member

Post by daz16v »

when i bought my car the horn wasnt working or the headlight washers,just changed fuse 47 and now the headlight washers are working but still no horn!however now when i press the horn i can hear a clicking noise which i cudnt hear when the fuse was blown :? any ideas what else to try?
thanks