So I've joined the club

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
benmkiv
Platinum Member

So I've joined the club

Post by benmkiv »

Had a lot of problems with juddering brakes on my polo recently. Warped quite a few sets turns out that my hub flange was warped. Get them checked by a professional I would rate green stuff fairly well and not blame them but like ben said no advantage over oem other than oem being pricey
SteveHawkins
New

Re: So I've joined the club

Post by SteveHawkins »

Hi chaps,

Thanks for the replies. I think it would make sense for my first step to be bleed the system so I can get some feel from the pedal and eliminate that as the potential issue. The guy who sold the car seemed tO think it had only just had new brakes fitted but looking at them I'm not so sure. Havent found an invoice for it in the history yet either but not got all way through there's so much.

I guess there's always the possibility the car has been stood after new brakes fit and they just need bedding in. Either way I'll keep you all up to date.

G60 brakes sound like a reasonable upgrade. Think a friend runs some custom lightweight carriers on his G60 so might ask him where he got them from.

Cheers

Steve
neilw
Gold Member

Post by neilw »

Yup my old Car. Really pleased to see it turn up on the forum :) . PM me and I'll send you the service history spreadsheet you should of got with it.

The seats I put in after I bought it, they have heating elements in them you just need to get the switches and bits that go with it and get it all wired up.

I pretty much put it all back to standard. The areal is off my misses 1996 Polo, I put my studdy on the Z4 and put the Z4's onto the misses polo (Sorry :))
Is it normal for the fan to cut in and out sporadically and all the time even when the engines running but jus started and cold? Seems odd to me
Its always done this, I've changed the switch but didn't make any difference.

Brakes where bled about 18months-2years ago so could probably be done again. Disks and pads are fairly recent, If you've got the spreadsheet which was with the service recepts it could say the mileages I changed them at.

Gearbox was rebuilt about 3 months ago and it has a new Sachs Clucth, theres a years warrenty on the box so that still has a fair bit of time left on it. PM me if you need the details, recept for this should be in the folder.

I've still got the black front badge and de-locked handels if you want them for the cost of postage your welcome to them. One thing you will need is on the engine under tray there is a clip missing which means there is only one bolt not two holding it on. I didn't get a chance to sort this before I P/x'd it. Unfounatly I don't think it ever had a CD changer, I don't think there is cabling in there for it either.

I should change my avitar now I guess
SteveHawkins
New

Post by SteveHawkins »

neilw wrote:Yup my old Car. Really pleased to see it turn up on the forum :) . PM me and I'll send you the service history spreadsheet you should of got with it.
Will do!
neilw wrote:The seats I put in after I bought it, they have heating elements in them you just need to get the switches and bits that go with it and get it all wired up.
Thats interesting to know I reckon I might just get these wired up. I don't suppose anyone has a VW parts CD or could point me in the right direction of where to find one so I can get the parts on order??
neilw wrote:I pretty much put it all back to standard. The areal is off my misses 1996 Polo, I put my studdy on the Z4 and put the Z4's onto the misses polo (Sorry :))
Not a problem, I'd probably have done the same haha
neilw wrote:
Is it normal for the fan to cut in and out sporadically and all the time even when the engines running but just started and cold? Seems odd to me
Its always done this, I've changed the switch but didn't make any difference.
I had a play about with this this morning in the works carpark. It's definitely linked to the climate control. When you put the climate on auto (or on) the fan cuts in and out once the aircon pump kicks in regardless of whether the car is warm or not. As soon as I put it on to Econ (or off) the fan stops, and doesn't start again so I think there is a link there somewhere. It may just be a noisy fan I guess as it does shift some air. It is also definitely linked to the idle of the car also. I'm thinking this is gonna be either where the cars been stood and the battery isn't charged fully, or the butterfly valve in the inlet may be a bit sticky (again where it's been stood), or perhaps if the cars had an aftermarket filter then perhaps it just needs a good service.
neilw wrote:Brakes where bled about 18months-2years ago so could probably be done again. Disks and pads are fairly recent, If you've got the spreadsheet which was with the service recepts it could say the mileages I changed them at.
That's handy to know, I think this is definitely going to be the first thing I do to try and get some feel back in the pedal.
neilw wrote:Gearbox was rebuilt about 3 months ago and it has a new Sachs Clucth, theres a years warrenty on the box so that still has a fair bit of time left on it. PM me if you need the details, recept for this should be in the folder.
Also handy and re-assuring to know. I remember seeing a receipt for this when I scanned the history so should be able to get the details from there, thanks.
neilw wrote:I've still got the black front badge and de-locked handels if you want them for the cost of postage your welcome to them.
Might well be interested in the handles chap. Will drop you a PM about it.
neilw wrote:One thing you will need is on the engine under tray there is a clip missing which means there is only one bolt not two holding it on. I didn't get a chance to sort this before I P/x'd it. Unfounatly I don't think it ever had a CD changer, I don't think there is cabling in there for it either.
There was a couple of envelopes in the glovebox with some clips in, all labelled as spares so perhaps the garage has fitted new ones. I didn't notice the undertray hanging down at all but will get under it properly when it stops raining!
neilw wrote:Unfounatly I don't think it ever had a CD changer, I don't think there is cabling in there for it either.
Weird that one as they all left the factory with CD changers (or so I believe, could be wrong). I'm not to worried as I'll be changing all the stereo anyway, it's just that I only have cassette in there atm and I don't physically own any cassettes anymore hahaha. I would imagine the cabling is in there somewhere as it'll be a generic loom, could all be held up behind the dash if it was an in dash changer.
neilw wrote:I should change my avitar now I guess
Nah you can keep it, after all it doesn't look like that now haha. Not exactly sure if I'll change anything on the exterior, aside from the fact it does currently look like it's scared of tarmac so I'll probably lower it a bit. Who knows. With some expensive habits, a wife and 2 kids to sort out first I don't know how much money I'll have to spend on the Polo. It'll be kept exceptionally clean though, I'm pretty anal about that with all my toys ;)

Cheers

Steve
neilw
Gold Member

Post by neilw »

It did have an in dash cd playier when I first got it, that connect to the casette playier. I sold that when I put a new head unit in it.

There should of been a single bolt in one of the envelopes, thats the one that needs to go back in, but it needs a piece of folded metal with a hole in it that goes onto the chassie for it to hold. It'll make sense if you take it off and have a look. It won't hang down the remaining clips will hold it.

Glad you be keeping it clean, I spent a lot of time cleaning it. It's probably got a coat of Collinite wax on ot still.
SteveHawkins
New

Post by SteveHawkins »

neilw wrote:It did have an in dash cd playier when I first got it, that connect to the casette playier. I sold that when I put a new head unit in it.

There should of been a single bolt in one of the envelopes, thats the one that needs to go back in, but it needs a piece of folded metal with a hole in it that goes onto the chassie for it to hold. It'll make sense if you take it off and have a look. It won't hang down the remaining clips will hold it.

Glad you be keeping it clean, I spent a lot of time cleaning it. It's probably got a coat of Collinite wax on ot still.
Aaah that makes sense now haha. Yes I know exactly what you mean on the undertray bolt. Think I might have one of those captive nut type things in the garage.

Steve
SteveHawkins
New

Post by SteveHawkins »

Oh Dear,

This is going to get expensive :S Did nearly £100 in polish and associated bits yesterday :shock:

Steve
neilw
Gold Member

Post by neilw »

Nice. Get some photos up once your done :)
SteveHawkins
New

Post by SteveHawkins »

So this weeks spends are slowly turning up.

Grill trim - arrived
Polish and new heads for DA - arrived
New BBS centre caps as one was missing when I got the car - arrived
Delocked handles - arrived this morning (thanks Neil)
Black grill badge - arrived this morning (thanks Neil)

But most importantly! Spongebob air freshener fitted! Lol

Still to arrive

Interior floor mats (thanks Neil lol)

On the list to order (gonna have to wait though skint now haha)

New source unit and components.

Just gotta find some weather and time to get all this on now :/

Steve
neilw
Gold Member

Post by neilw »

Glad some of the bits have arrived the matts shouldn't be far behind. God knows how they lost a center cap, they where all there when I left the car with BMW.
Last edited by neilw on Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteveHawkins
New

Post by SteveHawkins »

Didn't have much time today but manage a little tinkering. Fitted black 'VW' badge and grill trim. Doesn't look to bad even if I do say so myself. Nothing that hasn't been seen here before so once I figure out how to get pictures up I'll get one on here. Also fitted replacement centre caps. Again I'll get some pics up once I figure it all out on here.

Reckon I'll leave doing the door handles until I get the door cards off to fit the new components (once I've bought them). Pointless taking them off twice if I don't need to.

Well that and it was bloody freezing outside today so I'm buggered if I'm staying out there all day tinkering about haha.

Steve
neilw
Gold Member

Post by neilw »

The door handels are a 2 minuet job. Open the door and take out the screw that lines up with the handles. They then just slot out.

You'll find the doors have abit of Dynamat in then when you come to fit the comps, Also if you pull back the rubber door seal next to where the main wiring loom goes from the car to the door theres a hole for routing the speaker cable.
SteveHawkins
New

Post by SteveHawkins »

neilw wrote:The door handels are a 2 minuet job. Open the door and take out the screw that lines up with the handles. They then just slot out.

You'll find the doors have abit of Dynamat in then when you come to fit the comps, Also if you pull back the rubber door seal next to where the main wiring loom goes from the car to the door theres a hole for routing the speaker cable.
Aah cool thats handy, I wasn't looking forward to that job haha. So the cars had a reasonable system in before then. What did you have in there chap?

An age ago I worked at CAD as after sales manager. Had a lot of different systems in my cars, but a bit out of the loop now. I'm probably going to go for some Ground Zero components up front, fabricate some sort of fibreglass effort in the wheel well for a sub to sit in all nice and flush so I don't lose the boot space, will probably stick one of the JL 13TW5-3 in there, or failing that will go for an 8w7 and move stuff about so I don't lose the boot. Got a JL 500/1 and 300/4 amp to drive everything so have plenty of power available. Probably going to head everything up with an Alpine source unit, just because they are easy to get hold of. I'd prefer my old Denon back but thats not going to happen unfortunately haha.

Steve
neilw
Gold Member

Post by neilw »

At one point I had an RE SE12 sub hooked up to a DSL A5 Amp, With Rainbow conponents up front, that was a lovely setup. Then I found I needed use of the boot more so went to a Genesys Profile 2 powering the rainbows. I sold the sub and A5 amp.
SteveHawkins
New

Post by SteveHawkins »

neilw wrote:At one point I had an RE SE12 sub hooked up to a DSL A5 Amp, With Rainbow conponents up front, that was a lovely setup. Then I found I needed use of the boot more so went to a Genesys Profile 2 powering the rainbows. I sold the sub and A5 amp.
Thats a nice list of gear there! I ran 3 x RE8's in a slot loaded box at one point in my 205. those were amazing subs. Really rate the Genesis gear also. Have been round there factory and was mightily impressed with their capabilities.

Steve