Hazards come on after braking?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
WatchcamGTI
Bronze Member

Re: Hazards come on after braking?

Post by WatchcamGTI »

George H wrote:
Vissa wrote:I thought every 6R has this safety feature. Atleast my 6R GTI does.

Pretty handy feature indeed, or you rather want someone to crash in your rear.
I really dont see how it stops someone crashing into you. If they don't see your brake lights when slamming on there isn't much chance of them seeing the hazards either to be honest.
Hazards = danger, brakes could just be people slowing?
George H
Bronze Member

Post by George H »

WatchcamGTI wrote:
George H wrote:
Vissa wrote:I thought every 6R has this safety feature. Atleast my 6R GTI does.

Pretty handy feature indeed, or you rather want someone to crash in your rear.
I really dont see how it stops someone crashing into you. If they don't see your brake lights when slamming on there isn't much chance of them seeing the hazards either to be honest.
Hazards = danger, brakes could just be people slowing?
But they only came on once I'd stopped, bearing in mind you have to slam on to activate them there's a good chance the car behind will have already crashed into you! :)
DubbisH
Getting There!

Post by DubbisH »

Dub_Dan wrote:I'm going to disagree and say its a good feature... If you have to brake hard and forget to put your hazards on to alert other road users there's more risk for an accident... My old 206 had them but my 9n doesnt :/
^^^Have to agree with this^^^

I can only see this as a good thing to be honest.

*DubbisH*
gavs
Silver Member

Hazards come on after braking?

Post by gavs »

Very early versions of the 6r had the ability to turn them off, with the ecu updates I have not been able to find the measuring block to alter this setting anymore.

They should actually come on WHILE you are braking hard to alert fellow road users that you are indeed braking hard, they should not have come on once you stopped. Once you release the brake pedal they will turn off, they're triggered by a setting within the EBD system, which would mean that you actually haven't hit the brakes harder on a downhill run. I have only activated It when bedding pads in and at a closed circuit, if you activate this feature on public roads and you're not driving like an idiot in the first place, a small embarrassment is far better than 2 tonnes plus inertia planting itself in your a*se.

Small fact that BMW actually introduced this system approx 10years ago but the brake lights would flash, not the hazards. They then realised that people just thought that there was a brake fault whereas with hazard light, the automatic association is "danger". Not just German cars either, a few yank tanks have it too.
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

Our old Fiesta ST had this 'feature'. Luckily we never in a situation where this was activated but I remember it was a menu setting. Would be a VAGCOM item for the Polo though.