cruise control

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
mikehowett
Bronze Member

Post by mikehowett »

K.I.T.T. wrote:
mikehowett wrote:These are the connectors behind the dash:

You should be able to see them if you remove the plastic cover that allows access to the relays and look up with a torch.

The white plug arrowed is where the wire needs to go into, you should have received a pin that will need to be attached to the wire and then inserted into the plug. (the green arrow is pointing to a latch that needs to be moved to allow the plug to be removed)

I tried to get my hand in there but it was no go, the dash had to come out :(
Hi mate.

Did you have to remove the WHOLE dash to do this, or just the driver side loewr fascia? Having looked at the price of the cruise control stalk, I'm tempted, but the idea of removing the whole dash looks lika a PITA according to my haynes manual :(

Thanks!

Ash :)
Unfortunately you do mate, it's a time consuming job but not technically hard to do :wink:
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Fun... :roll:

Ah well...I'm sure eventually, I'll get bored enough to get around to doing it :lol:

Thanks Mike :)

pip_polo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by pip_polo »

if you remove the dash you can lube it up so do 2 jobs at once, then there will be no squeeking 8)
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

pip_polo wrote:if you remove the dash you can lube it up so do 2 jobs at once, then there will be no squeeking 8)

Long time no see :) (sucks having no net at home).
That strut brace I got would have sorted the squeeks out, thanks to my blasted luck, the damn thing doesn't fit diesels cos of the vacuum unit! :(

Need to sell it and get a Seat sport one now.

greid
New

Re: cruise control

Post by greid »

You actually DON'T need to remove the whole dash to retrofit the cruise control -- but it might be easier! I retrofitted it to my 9N Polo over the weekend without removing the dash itself. The compact connector that the cruise wire needs to go into is extremely difficult to access, but I managed to do it using a pair of very long pliers (http://www.teng.co.uk/ak9322-sealey-dee ... 573_pd.asp) and a whole heap of patience. Getting the connector back in was actually trickier, but the whole job only took about 4-5 hours.

My cruise control is now working perfectly (after being activated with VAG-COM) but no light appears on the instrument panel when it's switched on. Are all the instrument panels supplied with all the lamps (assume they're LEDs), or is it possible I've got a broken lamp?
olie93
New

Re:

Post by olie93 »

You should be able to see them if you remove the plastic cover that allows access to the relays and look up with a torch.

The white plug arrowed is where the wire needs to go into, you should have received a pin that will need to be attached to the wire and then inserted into the plug. (the green arrow is pointing to a latch that needs to be moved to allow the plug to be removed)

It's probably easier to run the wire along the back of the dash, through the bulkhead an into the ECU instead, but I wanted to do it as if it came like it from the factory.

It took me about a day and a half to do mine. I did a fair bit of research beforehand to make sure I knew what I was doing. :)

FYI:

This is the module above the drivers footwell, the brown connector plugs into XS3 (it is marked on the actual module).

This is the connector where the six other wires need to go (accessible by removing the steering wheel) Pins 26-31 are for the cruise control switch.

This diagram was also useful:

:)

Hiya,

Don't suppose you have a copy of the 2 pictures in the post as the links seem to be dead. Going to attempt to fit cruise control this weekend. Only got the German instructions from kufatec to help me :?

Thanks
Oliver
mikehowett
Bronze Member

Post by mikehowett »

Olie, I've updated the OP with what I think are the missing images, but I'm not 100% sure as it was so long ago that I did mine, hope it helps! :)
olie93
New

Post by olie93 »

Hiya,

Thanks Mate. Thats a great help. Just got the dashboard off to install that last wire.

Thanks Again
Oliver
olie93
New

Post by olie93 »

greid wrote:You actually DON'T need to remove the whole dash to retrofit the cruise control -- but it might be easier! I retrofitted it to my 9N Polo over the weekend without removing the dash itself. The compact connector that the cruise wire needs to go into is extremely difficult to access, but I managed to do it using a pair of very long pliers (http://www.teng.co.uk/ak9322-sealey-dee ... 573_pd.asp) and a whole heap of patience. Getting the connector back in was actually trickier, but the whole job only took about 4-5 hours.

My cruise control is now working perfectly (after being activated with VAG-COM) but no light appears on the instrument panel when it's switched on. Are all the instrument panels supplied with all the lamps (assume they're LEDs), or is it possible I've got a broken lamp?

Hi,

I've managed to fit this and it works, but like you said i have no light. Did you ever find a fix or explanation for this?
vwpolo16v
Bronze Member

Re:

Post by vwpolo16v »

It's probably easier to run the wire along the back of the dash, through the bulkhead an into the ECU instead, but I wanted to do it as if it came like it from the factory.
:)
Looking at doing this retrofit to the Polo 6R.
Does anyone know if the 6R also have these connectors inside the dash ?
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

I believe the system in the 6R is different, and involves running a wire to the ECU. Bit of a PITA from what I've heard