foglights wiring

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
vwpolo16v
Bronze Member

Re: foglights wiring

Post by vwpolo16v »

Aaahh OK.
I think coding is only required if you fit the DUAL (DRL + Fog) light.
Those lights are controlled by the BCM.

For the "standard" fogs, they are powered directly from teh relay to the dash switch to the fuse 54 and finally to the bulbs.
as shown in this diagram http://www.uk-polos.net/view ... 15#p463386

Looking forward to your write up.
vwpolo16v
Bronze Member

Post by vwpolo16v »

Thought I'd raise this forgotten topic :)

Just bought a used dash switch 6R0 941 531 J and swapped it with the one that was already installed (6R0 941 531 H).
Just the switch ...I have not installed any front fogs or any wiring.....yet.
No drama, no smoke, and no tears.
All lights work as before.
Rear fog work as before (just needs a second pull of the light switch).
That is, first pull turns on the front fogs and the second pull turns on the rear.
While the rear fogs are on, the front are always on.
That is, you cannot turn on just the rear fogs without the front fogs being on.

Pics:
Sides ON

Front Fogs ON
Note the front fog symbol turns green on the first pull (no dash symbol)

Rear Fogs ON
(dash rear fog symbol displayed).

In position "O", the dipped beam, sides and rear lights are on when the ignition is turned on (just like before).

I used a digital meter and tested the output of the PIN 8 on the switch connector.
it is 0v when front fogs are OFF and 12v when they are ON.

Next step is to figure out which one of the two factory wiring scheme to use.....oh and buy some front fogs :roll:
Norbreck21a
Silver Member

Post by Norbreck21a »

Guys, old thread I know, but as I'll soon be fitted front fogs into the wife's new Blue GT (see other thread of mine), did anyone actually do a guide to fitting and wiring them up please ?

Also, according to ELSAWIN, to remove the blank grill covers you first need to completely remove the front bumper (to get at them from behind), something that I obviously don't really want to do on a brand new car, so does anyone know if it' possible to remove them without first taking the bumper off ?
wigit
Bronze Member

Post by wigit »

Norbreck21a wrote:Guys, old thread I know, but as I'll soon be fitted front fogs into the wife's new Blue GT (see other thread of mine), did anyone actually do a guide to fitting and wiring them up please ?

Also, according to ELSAWIN, to remove the blank grill covers you first need to completely remove the front bumper (to get at them from behind), something that I obviously don't really want to do on a brand new car, so does anyone know if it' possible to remove them without first taking the bumper off ?
i was waiting for you to do this one before i dipped my toe in the water
Norbreck21a
Silver Member

Post by Norbreck21a »

Cheers wigit :D :D :D
vwpolo16v
Bronze Member

Post by vwpolo16v »

wigit wrote:i was waiting for you to do this one before i dipped my toe in the water
me too :mrgreen:
Davey11
New

Post by Davey11 »

I know this is an old thread but wandering if anyone had any luck with installing fog lights on a polo 6r?
Ive seen some kits on ebay, but unsure about the wiring harness connections i.e. do they need to be plugged into the fuse or direct to the battery?