First 1k Miles - Engine break in

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
alanblakey1
New
Drives: 6C SE - 3 Door - 1.2 TSI - Deep Black

First 1k Miles - Engine break in

Post by alanblakey1 »

Hi there,

So after the longest wait ever i'll be picking up my 6C on Sunday 1st March, Horay!

I've read from some sources that the first 1k miles should be taken easy as the engine is breaking in etc which is completely understandable and the view that I would take.

However i've also heard some contrasting views on this stating that newer, modern engines don't usually need this sort of treatment.

What did you guys do? Take it easy or kick its head in? hah.
TheFrog
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Blue GT

Re: First 1k Miles - Engine break in

Post by TheFrog »

Got mine 3 weeks ago. Been taking it easy 99% of the time (2/3 - 3/4 throttle max) and then gradually feeding in the higher revs (>3500) once the engine's nice & hot. A bit like making love to a woman, really... :wink:
alanblakey1
New

Post by alanblakey1 »

Hhah. Cracking analogy that. :lol:

Yeah for sure that's exactly what I had planned too. Feel sorry for the engines at the mercy of owners who just don't really care!!
gti-joe
Silver Member
Drives: 6c Polo Blue GT

Post by gti-joe »

It does recommend in the owners manual to run the engine in for the first 1000km or so at no more than 2/3rds of top engine speed and from 1000-1500km to gradually increase driving performance to top speed and highest engine speed.
beatty599
Getting There!

Post by beatty599 »

When I got mine I was told to take it easy for the first 1000 miles by VW
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

Yes - although the new engines are already 'bench run in', it is no substitute for real world running in, so being respectful on engine and brakes for at least the first 1000 miles will stand you in good stead.

I don't believe in driving the car hard from the off.
Doc_House
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 VW Polo SE and 1972 GT Beetle

Post by Doc_House »

Best to take it easy for the first 1000 miles just to bed parts in. On my first 59 plate 6r the gearbox failed spectacularly at 1200 miles on the M69. The 12 plate and the new one have been treated gently at first.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

i waited until the oil was up to temp in my 2007 gti to give it the beans and i'll be using the same technique in my 2015 gti lol
alanblakey1
New

Post by alanblakey1 »

Cheers for all your help, much appriciated!
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I bedded mine in for 2000miles, but I was told by VW that as long as it's up to temperature it doesn't need a bedding in period. They said that parts are so accurately made these days they don't need to be bedded in. Make of that what you will!
daveb73
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 6R 5 Door

Post by daveb73 »

Please be aware that if you are too gentle with your new engine your cylinder bores may well glaze causing insufficient compression and even excessive oil consumption. I'm not one of those who believes you have to thrash an engine from new to bed it in but it's good procedure to make sure the engine does have some load through the rev range otherwise you may end up with an under performing and oil thirsty motor :(

I've bedded a few brand new motorcycles in, and what I did was to use the torque of the engine and not be scared to go up past the mid range/revs of the power (obviously not revving it in to the higher range). Slowly increase this over the course of running in and don't be scared to have the odd blip through the gears using the torque.

If you saw the procedure the factory used when testing the new engines before the cars go out to the dealers you'd cringe :shock:
alanblakey1
New

Post by alanblakey1 »

@Daveb73 - I couldnt agree more with your reccomendation. I have the same beliefs that tickiling it along for 1k miles will do more bad than good and you have to give it at least something but not everything, all of the time.

I plan to use the tourqe to the best of its ability but I'll not be letting it run anywhere near full RPM until theres been healthy usage.
tomtoon2015
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 blueGT

Post by tomtoon2015 »

So I am aware, as I get my BGT in May, it's best to basically rev it sometimes just not all the time for the first 1K or so?
daveb73
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 6R 5 Door

Post by daveb73 »

Just make sure you use the power (torque) through the gears, don't rev too high obviously, but 'drive' the car, don't wrap it up in cotton wool. As I said in my previous post, it's a good idea to give it a quick blip through the gears every few journeys, drive it briskly using the torque and don't be scared to let it rev a little higher now and again, especially in the lower gears.

Enjoy :D