Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Metman888
New
Drives: 2022 Polo GTi

Re: Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Post by Metman888 »

KayakerPaul wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:25 pm I'll have to make a note to check ours, as I thought it was only the GTI missing their's , thanks for mentioning it.
I took delivery of my Polo GTi last week, couldn't wait for the 72 Plate as I had no car and I have my own plate on anyway but I can confirm it did come with an engine cover. I was pleasantly surprised.
KayakerPaul
Getting There!
Drives: R line - if it arrives

Post by KayakerPaul »

Metman888 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:17 pm
KayakerPaul wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:25 pm I'll have to make a note to check ours, as I thought it was only the GTI missing their's , thanks for mentioning it.
I took delivery of my Polo GTi last week, couldn't wait for the 72 Plate as I had no car and I have my own plate on anyway but I can confirm it did come with an engine cover. I was pleasantly surprised.
I was with my dealer today , and he recons mine has the cover, and only GTI'S were effected.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:57 pm
KayakerPaul wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:48 pm [quote=lancslad1985 post_id=592569 time=<a href="tel:1661248095">1661248095</a> user_id=15903]
Well my wife is collecting her r-line right now and has been told my car arrives in the UK today. Will be collecting 6th September.
Post some pics in the R line thread, it could do with a bump ;)
How does your wife find it ?
She’s enjoying it. It has a good spec. Only downside is there’s no engine cover despite them saying they’d have one, so going to chase them up tomorrow.
[/quote]

I didn’t think the 1.0 three cylinder engine in the Polo had a full engine cover like the GTI should have. This is the engine compartment of a facelift R Line Polo. As far as I’m aware, there’s no additional cover to be added - @lancslad1985; is this how your wife’s R Line looks under the bonnet?
AF473DFE-9EC7-49E4-9A2C-B16709927659.jpeg
AF473DFE-9EC7-49E4-9A2C-B16709927659.jpeg (143.79 KiB) Viewed 864 times
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

@srgtd it is indeed but our dealer reckoned it should have a cover and I’m sure her last 95ps car had a cover too (not got it now to check).

Now you mention it, my 115ps 1.0L troc never had an engine cover either.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:53 pm @srgtd it is indeed but our dealer reckoned it should have a cover and I’m sure her last 95ps car had a cover too (not got it now to check).

Now you mention it, my 115ps 1.0L troc never had an engine cover either.
In my experience, car salespeople aren’t always particularly knowledgeable about the products they’re selling 😉. I think everything I’ve read about the engine cover recall and the short term issue of cars not being fitted with an engine cover only applies to certain VAG performance models with the 2.0 litre EA888 engine. So the 1.0 litre three cylinder engines shouldn’t be affected.
Metman888
New
Drives: 2022 Polo GTi

Post by Metman888 »

I’m wondering why mine has a cover now, I’ve read they were working on a re designed version. Maybe mine has that. Either that or it’ll fall off and burst into flames lol

Guess we’ll find out on the 1st September if everyone else’s engine has one fitted.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Popped to see my dealer today. Think he said mine was released for shipping on the 10th August.
He asked if I'd like to have a drive in one they had there, so I took the wheel.
Tried out the lane assist which is cool. And I liked the touch sensitive climate control.
Steering wheel felt a touch chunkier than my 2019 model. Love the dynamic indicators, I'm not a fan of the old bulb rear indicator of my current car given that the front is all LED.
So all in all good and it'll be great as a September delivery.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

johnpolo2 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:34 pm Popped to see my dealer today. Think he said mine was released for shipping on the 10th August.
He asked if I'd like to have a drive in one they had there, so I took the wheel.
Tried out the lane assist which is cool. And I liked the touch sensitive climate control.
Steering wheel felt a touch chunkier than my 2019 model. Love the dynamic indicators, I'm not a fan of the old bulb rear indicator of my current car given that the front is all LED.
Lane assist is great on a motorway but deadly on normal roads. It also doesn’t work well when it’s wet from my own experience as I have it on my Tiguan and had it on my gti plus prior. Good to hear the steering wheel is chunkier.
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Post by steeve »

Thankfully after a nightmare six months we are free of our Polo Gti order. Even though it took over four weeks to get our refundable deposit back after them inputting incorrect bank details.
We were sad to have to cancel but over the ten months from ordering not once did the dealer people get in touch with us with any progress or delivery news. We always had to contact them, even then in the majority of cases our contact went unanswered. We'd asked for a monthly update but....Towards the end we had no contact for over two months and literally had no clue when or if the car would arrive. Our main worry was that that if they behave like this what chance have we got should we have problems?
It would have been my wife's second GTi. It had really soured the joy and thrill of getting a new car.

She picks up her new Mini Cooper S five door on September the 1st. The contact from Mini Leicester has been superb and their willingness to bend over backwards amazing.
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Post by ad_182_uk »

johnpolo2 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:34 pm Popped to see my dealer today. Think he said mine was released for shipping on the 10th August.
Upgraded every bulb bar the rear fog light to LED on my 2019 gti+ … subtle but effective. Enjoy the 72 plate.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

steeve wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:00 am Thankfully after a nightmare six months we are free of our Polo Gti order. Even though it took over four weeks to get our refundable deposit back after them inputting incorrect bank details.
We were sad to have to cancel but over the ten months from ordering not once did the dealer people get in touch with us with any progress or delivery news. We always had to contact them, even then in the majority of cases our contact went unanswered. We'd asked for a monthly update but....Towards the end we had no contact for over two months and literally had no clue when or if the car would arrive. Our main worry was that that if they behave like this what chance have we got should we have problems?
It would have been my wife's second GTi. It had really soured the joy and thrill of getting a new car.

She picks up her new Mini Cooper S five door on September the 1st. The contact from Mini Leicester has been superb and their willingness to bend over backwards amazing.
Good old fashioned customer service counts for a lot IMHO and can mean the difference between repeat business or the customer going elsewhere.

I had a poor experience with a very mediocre VW salesperson when I bought my previous Polo GTI back in 2016, which made me think twice about ordering another VW. The best VW salesperson experience I had was when I bought my Golf GTD back in 2011 - there were quite lengthy build delays at the time, and (from memory) from about two months after placing the order, the salesperson contacted me every two weeks without fail and gave me an update - even if there was nothing to update me with; IMHO an excellent example of managing customer expectations and keeping the customer informed. That salesperson no longer works for a VW dealership but is still selling cars.

I’d be very interested to hear how your wife gets on the Mini Cooper as I’m seriously considering moving to Mini for my next car, so please don’t be a stranger on the forum. I won’t be changing my current GTI+ for three years or so, so it’ll be the next generation Mini by then and I’ll probably be making the switch to the Mini Electric.

Good luck with the Mini and I look forward to reading about what you and your wife think of it 🙂.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

@Steeve I will second @SRGTD sorry it didn't work out and you had to cancel. I was sure your car was close. But as you say useless dealer didn't seem interested and never told you anything.
I hope you and wife will be happy with the Cooper S. As said below, please let us know how it goes as I too am interested in the Mini experience for further down the line.

@Metman888 Congratulations on the Polo GTI hope you are enjoying it. I pick mine up on Friday 2nd Sept. Does feel weird not having a car this week. Having a bank holiday helps narrow the time.

@johnpolo2 Thanks for the mini review/update. I'm deliberately not telling a friend I'm getting the car, as he will deluge me with reviews slating the touch buttons in Polo. (We have spend many months both agreeing that touch buttons are stupid as with cars with numerous functions only acceptable by touch screen). Clearly my current car has touch screen but lovely toggle buttons for heating and ventilation. So good to know they work well. The handbrake will be hard to get use to after 6yrs of electric handbrake (which I absolutely love, as I have no need for doing handbrake turns).

I watched Volkswizard test T-Roc R and there seems to be similar interface T-Roc and Polo. He mentioned unlike Golf 8 / A3 that have a deactivation button on a stalk that on T-Roc you de-activate by going into menu for assistance systems to switch off. Is that the same on Polo?

I am also now a convert to LED lights(as recently sold car had them), I used them first time and on dipped they gave me better visibility than full beam on my old old car. Looking forward to testing out Matrix lights too.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

@lancslad . Noted re lane assist. Yes getting back into my vehicle and by comparison the new steering wheel is very chunky, like it.
@AndyGTi. Great news that your car is imminent.
(I noticed that the illuminated gear selection in now in the gearknob and not at the side of it. Not quite so obvious at first. And maybe looks a bit cheaper in reality as doesn't have the chrome look finish as before.
On this occasion I kept me fingers away from the touch sensitive buttons on the steering wheel..some haven't been a fan of those.)
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

@Andygti there’s a button on the end of the left stalk in my wife’s r line and I’m sure my gti plus was the same. Takes you to lane assist etc.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

lancslad1985 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:07 am @Andygti there’s a button on the end of the left stalk in my wife’s r line and I’m sure my gti plus was the same. Takes you to lane assist etc.
Brilliant, that is good. Makes things easier. I will try it on a deserted motorway and see how I feel about it and give it a second chance. I tended to switch off straight away in my Audi.