Air Filter Questions?

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
ZOMBIE
Bronze Member

Gareths gt hatch- utilisation of original airbox

Post by ZOMBIE »

Ive seen the picture of the original airbox but with a k and n on the end of it, i think its a brilliant idea as I have a bolt on but is causing me troube in the winter but by keeping the airbox you keep the airflow meter as well.
I was just wondering;
what airfilter -part number etc is on there
and was there an increase in performance
and also is the noise level greater.

Also does any one know if the airbox that attaches to single point injection models is the same as the pierburg 2e3 [three bolts] because I dont really want to use the large part of the airfilter housing [circle part].
optima21
Sponsor

Post by optima21 »

well they do make k&n elements that fit inside the airbox....

..... I got mine new off ebay for £7 including postage, but it was listed for a Nova
Aphex
Bronze Member

Post by Aphex »

not quite the right one, the air filter you want looks like this

thats what i had on my old pierbeg 2e3, then it went onto my weber 32dmtr

miss the old girl

Aphex
Bronze Member

Re: Gareths gt hatch- utilisation of original airbox

Post by Aphex »

ZOMBIE wrote:Ive seen the picture of the original airbox but with a k and n on the end of it, i think its a brilliant idea as I have a bolt on but is causing me troube in the winter but by keeping the airbox you keep the airflow meter as well.
I was just wondering;
what airfilter -part number etc is on there
and was there an increase in performance
and also is the noise level greater.

Also does any one know if the airbox that attaches to single point injection models is the same as the pierburg 2e3 [three bolts] because I dont really want to use the large part of the airfilter housing [circle part].
for the spi i have made this out of the 1.4 golf airfeed and an aftermarket filter

ZOMBIE
Bronze Member

will it fit?

Post by ZOMBIE »

will that golf air feed fit on top of a peirburg? Do you have a spare one?- also i have bought the kn displayed but dont rate it in the winter. The carb, is it a 32/34 dtml if it is i am after one,was it a good carb?
metz

Post by metz »

Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Re: will it fit?

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

ZOMBIE wrote:will that golf air feed fit on top of a peirburg? Do you have a spare one?- also i have bought the kn displayed but dont rate it in the winter. The carb, is it a 32/34 dtml if it is i am after one,was it a good carb?
Providing the nut size for the three bolts that hold the standard airbox on are 10mm (theyre 8mm on older cars, my mk2 anyway) then it should fit on with a few minor mods. There are quite a few pieces of plastic inside you need to remove from the 1.4 elbow as there are bits of carb stick up quite high and these bits get in the way. You also have to remove the three studs in the carb as the 1.4 elbow uses a different type.
Aphex
Bronze Member

Re: will it fit?

Post by Aphex »

ZOMBIE wrote:will that golf air feed fit on top of a peirburg? Do you have a spare one?- also i have bought the kn displayed but dont rate it in the winter. The carb, is it a 32/34 dtml if it is i am after one,was it a good carb?
the carb is a twin choke downdraft 32 dmtr. It gave a definite increase in torque and flattened out the torque curve, as for power it made a substantial difference in acceleration, the only prob is i had 4 gears and the engine wanted to go much faster but 100mph was just on the redline so i didnt get to see what it could do. The main thing i remember is that it sounded the nuts!!.

The K&N bolt on for the pierberg has been reported to allow the autochoke on the carb to "ice" in very cold weather, i never had this problem as i had the weber before the K&N because the auto choke on my pierberg gave up.
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

good gawd what gearbox did you have? :D I can see 106 just kissing redline at 6k, could go on to 114 or so before hitting limiter with enough of a hill..

metz, cheque is in mail

Zombie/whoever was after one - assuming metz sends it out, give me 2 weeks, if it works i'll report back on the effects - and, i dont find someone who wants to buy the car with the induction kit, then its yours for a small consideration.
Aphex
Bronze Member

Post by Aphex »

Tahrey1043 wrote:good gawd what gearbox did you have? :D I can see 106 just kissing redline at 6k, could go on to 114 or so before hitting limiter with enough of a hill..
cant remember the model number but its the late 4spd. Its totally different to the 8p which i have now, plus theres no limiter as it was carbed so it just kept pulling til i ran out of bottle. got to see 110 once, then the pinion bearing went a few days later.
ZOMBIE
Bronze Member

JUST a few more questions?!?!?!

Post by ZOMBIE »

Overmind what engine did you put the weber 32dmtr on? also did you have to mod the inlet, also did you still have an automatic choke?
1 otherthing, did you buy the carb new, if so where from-do you still have it?
I am really desperate to upgrade my carb as well as my airflow [as i am running the k and n bolt on on a peirburg carb.]
cheers tombzombie :D :twisted:
Aphex
Bronze Member

Post by Aphex »

i bought it new in 1991.
Its in my garage.
it was on my MH block
Manual choke conversion
K&N on pierberg is allegedly a known problem by i never noticed.
Aphex
Bronze Member

Post by Aphex »

the receipt was still back at my parents last time i was there, got it from ECP as a kit, with adaptor plate for £230 then customised the manual choke myself so it looked like the early chokes (sat in the recess perfectly) but i dont think they do it anymore. i think Weber went to the wall not long ago?!?!?!