Rear window help?!

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
dubs
New

Rear window help?!

Post by dubs »

can anyone tell me iff the rear window glass is the same between the sallon and the coupe/hatch?? need to take my rear window out, don't want it to break but if it does will any of the others fit??

Cheers

craig
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

err... i'd really doubt it.... but does anyone actually know for certain, here????
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

I believe the side windows are the same between the coupe and saloon models, but the rear window is different.
dubs
New

Post by dubs »

damm, mk3 in every scrap yard round here, but only 1 mk2 and its a hatch/van shape. hope to god i dont smash this window takin it out :roll:
metz

Post by metz »

The mk3 rear window must be different for coupe hatchback and notchback as it has 3 different part numbers. so im guesing mk2 is the same, although mine does look very much like tahreys rear window.
dubs
New

Post by dubs »

Hmmmm ok, does anyone know if the rear window rubbers are still available to buy?? looks like the only option is to cut the rubber!!!!!!

really dont want to but dont have much choice :roll:
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

It'll almost certainly still be on the VW parts list.. it only tends to be the non-essential things that they get rid of. Might be worth checking price with a vw dealership before you go ahead and cut it though, they have a nasty habit of charging through the nose...
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

dubs wrote:Hmmmm ok, does anyone know if the rear window rubbers are still available to buy?? looks like the only option is to cut the rubber!!!!!!

Why :?:

I haven't got a polo MKII any more but was sure that the window rubber wasn't glued in but a flexible rubber wrapped all round the glass - rolled over the lip/mount in the tail gate.......

If this is the case then starting from the inside of the tailgate roll the inside of the rubber of the lip (have someone holding the window glass to stop it falling out) and work your way all round from the top down both sides - should just pop out of the bottom.

To get it back in rest it in the bottom lip and with a bit of string wrapped all the way round inside the seal pull it back into the seat.....

Of course if it is bonded in I'm talking rubbish but I'm sure it isn't

If you are unhappy about trying to do it yourself - go to a branch of autoglass and see if they'll take it out for a donation to the tea fund :shock:
dubs
New

Post by dubs »

bstardchild wrote:
dubs wrote:Hmmmm ok, does anyone know if the rear window rubbers are still available to buy?? looks like the only option is to cut the rubber!!!!!!

Why :?:

I haven't got a polo MKII any more but was sure that the window rubber wasn't glued in but a flexible rubber wrapped all round the glass - rolled over the lip/mount in the tail gate.......

If this is the case then starting from the inside of the tailgate roll the inside of the rubber of the lip (have someone holding the window glass to stop it falling out) and work your way all round from the top down both sides - should just pop out of the bottom.

To get it back in rest it in the bottom lip and with a bit of string wrapped all the way round inside the seal pull it back into the seat.....

Of course if it is bonded in I'm talking rubbish but I'm sure it isn't

If you are unhappy about trying to do it yourself - go to a branch of autoglass and see if they'll take it out for a donation to the tea fund :shock:
i have a habit of breaking windows when removing them :roll: yeah its the rubber seal type not bonded.
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

dubs wrote:i have a habit of breaking windows when removing them :roll: yeah its the rubber seal type not bonded.
In that case don't try and push it out till the seal is rolled off all the way round both sides and the top - bottom bit doesn't matter as you can lift it up.....

I've done several windows with rubber seals before and never broken one yet - just take it slow - don't try and hurry it - plastic (flexible - the unbreakable type) rulers help a lot cos you can use that to run along the rubber seal once you've started to roll it over and it makes quick work of it
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

well yeah... the little bits and pieces look similar... til you either get up close and/or bring a ruler into the fray

same as with the lights, coupe vs hatch..... they look fairly similar at a distance, but the coupe ones are significantly wider!
dubs
New

Post by dubs »

My window problems are now saved, sat in the scrappy with a mate getting bits for hiw vento and what gets trailered in?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

a mk3 polo saloon, quick peek reveales the rear window and rubber are immaculate :D :D :D :D :D

plus the panels seems quiet good aswell, looks like i have me a donor to strip and pinch bits off, and its the same colour!! BARGIN :lol: